walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lucky Horsehoe and a cracking day on Dubh

Lucky Horsehoe and a cracking day on Dubh

Postby coachmacca » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:34 pm

Route description: Beinn Dubh - Glen Striddle horseshoe, Luss

Grahams included on this walk: Beinn Dubh

Date walked: 03/03/2013

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Short report , cracking day on Saturday and the need for a shorter walk and somewhere nearby meant we went for the Glen Striddle Horseshoe taking in Beinn Dubh and Middle Hill from Luss.

Headed up early , car park empty but for a group arriving for a meet. The weather was laready lovely so it was just a mid layer on over the base layer today.

Found the style once just over the bridge and off we went.

Cue instantly having to shed the mid layer AND the gaiters as we were roastin! Sun was out so were the sunglasses!. 8) 8)

We headed up through the wee wooded area and met the gate through the fence with the first rise of Bein Dubh ahead so we headed up and took our time snapping as we went. The walk was fairly easy going, had lots of stops to take in the stunning view back to Loch Lomond and across to Ben Lomond (still snowy at the peak). Ben Eich was also to our left providing us with a beautiful scene on all directions!

Its not the most interesting hill but is a nice walk, wee bit boggy here and there but once you get to the summit and make your way around the corrie the views are stunning!

Noted what looked like sea king making it way around the loop of the Loch - hopefully just out on training

By the time we got to about 400m there was no other option... (Ladies look away now) I had to whip the troos off and remove the thermals I had donned thinking it was still winter (could someone ask Mother Nature to ask Father time to check his watch please! :roll: ) then on we went much cooler and comfier (apart from the Scarpa's cooking my feet!

Met a few lads on their own enjoying the sun, one was only planning to hit the summit and back as it was his first day out this year but we were glad to see later on that he had decided that as it was so nice that he would do the full horseshoe. Bumped into a nice couple enjoying the sun on a date and two lads out from Greenock enjoying the walk in the sun! You sure its only March?? :crazy: :crazy:

Had a lovely wee lunch just taking it all in, silence but for the odd birdsong and views all around. This is what its all about :D :D

Once on from the summit and out of the lee of the hill the wind was up a bit cooling the air so was glad I had the shell in the bag and even ended up with the hat on for a bit.

Headed around and down the steep descent from Middle Hill (slipping a few times on the smooth flat grass) before taking the last wee quick walk along the last 3km on the road .

We did pass some amazing sights on the road though! See the last 2 pics :wink:

Great walk, highly recommend it for a quick leg stretch or a easy going but beautiful hill walk!

Now for some pics (some are edited for my own pleasure, hope you approve!)

IMBen Dubh Horseshoe March 2 2013G_4493 by coachmacca, on Flickr
Ben Dubh (Right) and Bein Eich (Left)

Ben Dubh Horseshoe March 2 2013 by coachmacca, on Flickr
Views back to the Loch

Looking across to the ridge from Bein Eich (right) and Ben Chaorach (Left)

North up the Loch

Bein Eich in B&W

Close Up of Ben Lomond

On the walk along the road back to Luss

IMG_4550 by coachmacca, on Flickr
Never seen so many nests so low down :shock:

For about 100 yards we noticed lots of frog spawn before hearing a very obvious chorus! Then all these guys appeared

IMG_4556 by coachmacca, on Flickr
Those blurry bumps are all frogs! :shock: :shock:

Anyway to "summit" up :wink: This was a very lucky horseshoe weather and nature wise! Highly recommend.
coachmacca
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:6
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Lucky Horsehoe and a cracking day on Dubh

Postby monty » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Maybe not the most interesting hill but you got a cracking set of photos :clap:
monty

Re: Lucky Horsehoe and a cracking day on Dubh

Postby coachmacca » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:59 pm

monty wrote:Maybe not the most interesting hill but you got a cracking set of photos :clap:

Cheers Monty - They were there when I got there I just pointed the phone at them :wink: .. I tell you I'm not religious in the typical sense but you gotta say thanks to someone for our country!
coachmacca
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:6
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland