walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A winter walk in the Ochils

A winter walk in the Ochils

Postby DonnyW » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:33 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 28/12/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi all, I have enjoyed browsing this forum for a couple of years now. Many of the walk reports posted have inspired me to follow in your footsteps. Therefore I have finally plucked up the courage to try and contribute sometime back to the forum.

For my first post.. I have chosen a local hill in the Ochil hills .. Ben Cleuch standing at 2364ft high.

I did this walk on 28/12/09 to work off the festive food. The weather was perfect. I only have a 10 minute drive to get there which made it even more appealing to me. The road conditions in were not good due to ice.

The walk starts in Mill Glen at Tillicoultry.
Im very much a loner so like to get started while most other walkers are having breakfast. I was the first in the car park and my solitary footprints in the new fallen snow proved I was the early bird getting the worm.

The path winds it way through Mill Glen passing many lovely waterfalls and crossing the burn several times by well made footbridges. Just before the steep assent of the Law which give access to Ben Cleuch there is an awkward rocky outcrop to clamber down then up on the other side of the burn. It was well iced and slippery so I decided to play safe and put on my crampons. Im glad I did because it made this section easy. Later in the day I saw several parties trying to cross here and slithering around on the steep icy banking. They didn’t look at all safe to me.

Once on the open hill, the snow softened again and I took the crampons off. I stopped for a moment and took this photo looking back down the way I had just come. The hillside was golden white and orange in the early morning sun.

Soon the snow deepened and I was often up to my thighs is the soft stuff. The slope steepened and I started puffing for breath trying to find my stride. The rich Xmas fair was taking its toll on me too so I was very glad when I finally crested the Law. The fence than runs the length of the shoulder from the Law to Ben Cluech was draped in festive icicles and plastered in snow. With the deep blue sky and the hills of Perthshire as a backdrop ..it looked like a Xmas card scene to me.

On the plateau heading for the summit of Ben Cleuch, the deep snow had been sculpted by the winds making it look like some great white desert ..or should that be dessert? I could feel the festive food weighing me down. Walking was very difficult. The snow was sapping my energy while I was trying to free myself when I fell through the thin crisp covering.

Finally I made the summit and the views were stunning. I believe you can see all the way to Ben Macdui from here on a clear day. I could see for miles but my problem was I just didn’t know what Ben Macdui looked like from Ben Cleuch and my map didn’t go that far.. However I could recognise Ben Nevis and many of the other closer munroes.

Far below in the plains of the central belt I could see Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument. I think could also make out the hills on the Isle of Arran , or was it the Paps of Jura, or both ? It’s at times like this that I wish I had studied my geography a little better all those years ago at school. However you can be certain that my lack of local knowledge didn’t spoil my view of the countryside. I was at the top of the class

Rather than return the same way, I decided to push onwards and do a circular walk by taking in the summits of Ben Ever and Wood Hill. Im glad I was going downhill now as the snow on the south west descent from Ben Cleuch was now up to my waste at times. I got out of trouble more than once by rolling in the white stuff to extract my legs from its frozen grips.

I now had the opportunity of getting a photo or three of Grangemouth and beyond to Edinburgh. The ridge from Ben Even to Wood Hill provides the foreground in this shot.

After almost five hours of floundering around in fluffy freezing snow.. I finally made it back to the car. I was a weary man but very content. I had another wonderful day in the great outdoors. I will leave you now with a view over Tillicoultry on the last downhill leg of the route.

Thanks for looking and I wish you all a Happy New Year
DonnyW

Re: A winter walk in the Ochils

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:40 pm

That's a stunning first report Donny - superb photos. I especially like the first one, though the clarity you got at the summit looks amazing too.

Whetted my appetite as we've going to be covering the Ochils and Lomonds (hopefully) at the end of Jan / start of Feb. :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby DonnyW » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks for the welcome Paul ..its appreciated and I look forward to your reports on the area.

I used many of your Skye walk reports a couple of years back. I was one of the people who had traffic lights on the road delaying everyone between Broadford and Porteee :oops: Perhaps it was hell for the locals it was great for me ..getting paid for spending the best part of a year on Skye :lol:
DonnyW

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:09 pm

No doubt I've seen you then :lol: . It's the road between Portree and Staffin that's up at the moment, as its only single track its actually closed alot of the time during the works - very difficult to remember when I can and can't get to and from home.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby cjwaugh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:52 pm

Cracking first report this was the first hill i went up a long time ago thanks for the reminder :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby kinley » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:29 pm

Lovely 8)

Quite tempted to go back up in such different conditions

Cheers :D
kinley

Postby ikt68 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:54 pm

Great pics. I'm from Alva so try to do Ben Cleuch every week, but a badly timed cold has kept me in from most of this fantastic weather...Hoping to get out further afield tomorrow though. I always prefer to come up from Alva and down the Law though - it's heart attack material! Cheers
ikt68
Munro compleatist

Munros:156   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:16 am

Fantastic report and pics! Where you refer to 'or should it be dessert' (instead of desert), the type of snow in your 3rd pic I always refer to as 'meringue'! :D Well it is one of my fave foods!

Anyway, that looks great winter walking country!
mountain coward

Postby delberto » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:44 pm

brilliaint report-brilliant pics.

well done
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby kerrera » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:35 pm

DonnyW wrote:The walk starts in Mill Glen at Tillicoultry.
Im very much a loner so like to get started while most other walkers are having breakfast.

I lived very near there for a couple of years. I love the Ochils. I used to access near Menstrie. There used to be a big old house near there that was an old persons home. Fun times.
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby delberto » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:44 pm

your photos inspired me to take a doder up to cleuch. snow nearly all gone. brilliaint walk
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland