walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Deja vu on Tarmangie (via Whitewisp & Saddle) Hill

Deja vu on Tarmangie (via Whitewisp & Saddle) Hill

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 am

Donalds included on this walk: Tarmangie Hill

Date walked: 03/03/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 597m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As ever, didn't have much time and opted for something close to home and Whitewisp, Tarmangie and Saddle Hills in the Ochils fit the bill. Up at 6am, dragged myself out of bed by 6.20, in the car just after 7am and, following a quick stop at the local shop, on my way and pulled into the car park above Castle Campbell before 8am.

Unable to locate my map for the area, I'd checked WH the evening before and had a rough plan to do Saddle, Whitewisp and Tarmangie. If time allowed, I'd maybe also do Skythorn and return over King's Seat and Bank Hill, though I've been over these before.

I followed the track up towards the plantation above Glen Quey, then branched off to head for the saddle between Saddle Hill and Whitewisp (accompanied all the way by the sound of Woodpeckers down in Dollar Glen). Quite a steep pull up here and I spotted a fox running up ahead which, the sheep appeared to be untroubled by. I, on the other hand, was troubled by how swift and agile it was, tanking up the slope in front of me!

Once on to the saddle, the slope leaned back somewhat and it was a then a straight-forward walk up to the summit plateau and a short wander across this to the cairn. It was not yet 9am and, while not a glorious blue-sky day like those of late, pleasant enough and offering reasonable views. I only had the use of my camera phone so, apologies for the quality of the pics.

East

South (mist over Dollar)

North

Didn't hang about and struck out for Tarmangie, again a fairly easy tramp across good ground, made slightly more interesting by accumulations of snow/ice on the obvious route. It was a mere 15-20 minutes to the summit cairn. I spent 5-10mins at the summit soaking up the views, North and West particularly, and deciding where to go next. Beforehand, I didn't think I'd been on Tarmangie Hill previously but was overcome with a sense of having been here before, especially looking down over Upper Glendevon Reservoir.

The view NW from TH

I wandered up the slope ahead to the fence-line and weighed-up Skythorn and King's Seat versus the clock and opted to return the way I'd come. I saw my first other walker of the day here as I traversed around the South side of Whitewisp on the way back and over Saddle Hill, down the nose and into Dollar Glen. Saw another walker heading up Bank Hill here.

Aptly-named, Whitewisp Hill...

Castle Campbell

Back at the car in under 2 hours, which was fine as had a big day of running / biking the day before. Another two walkers were just setting out and there were another three cars in the parking area.

Later in the day, I found my map (a very old OS one of the Perth & Kinross area). While having a look back at my route, I became aware of faint pencil marks and realised it was the route I'd taken while doing Duke of Edinburgh with the Boys Brigade, over 30 years ago! Tarmangie wasn't on the route but I'd obviously passed nearby on a route starting in Dollar itself, up the glen via the golf course on to Bank Hill; King's Seat; Skythorn Hill; over the dam at Upper Glendevon; Craigentaggert Hill; Kinpauch Hill and down into Blackford to camp for the night. Next day, we set off through Whaick; Berry Hill; Core Hill (I recall it getting extremely foggy and our route bears this out as it then went zig-zag!); Little Corum; Sauchanwood Hill; Mickle Corum; Blairdenon Hill; Bengengie Hill; Colsnaur Hill and Craig Leith, before dropping down into Alva narrowly avoiding a steep craggy drop in the thick mist.

Those were the days. :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by BoyVertiginous on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: Deja vu on Tarmangie (via Whitewisp & Saddle) Hill

Postby colingray8 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:59 am

Good trip report.
I'll be doing something similar next Sunday. Parking at the castle and walking Innerdownie & Whitewisp Hill I might even through in Tarmangie as well. Must admit, I'm looking forward to it. :D
colingray8
Munro compleatist

Munros:125   Corbetts:17
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:13 pm

colingray8 wrote:Good trip report.
I'll be doing something similar next Sunday. Parking at the castle and walking Innerdownie & Whitewisp Hill I might even through in Tarmangie as well. Must admit, I'm looking forward to it. :D

Cheers, Colin. Hope you get a nice, clear day for it.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:14 pm

It is a pretty area up by Castle Campbell, I have been up Saddle Hill and wanted to continue on to Whitewisp but I was with a friend who isn't too keen on hills so we just headed down and continued on to Glenque Reservoir. It looks like a good circuit you completed. I quite fancy heading up Bank Hill and onto Kings seat followed by Tarmangie and Whitewisp but not sure exactly how long and steep this may be. I like your photos of the mist in the distance.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Sarah86 wrote:It is a pretty area up by Castle Campbell, I have been up Saddle Hill and wanted to continue on to Whitewisp but I was with a friend who isn't too keen on hills so we just headed down and continued on to Glenque Reservoir. It looks like a good circuit you completed. I quite fancy heading up Bank Hill and onto Kings seat followed by Tarmangie and Whitewisp but not sure exactly how long and steep this may be. I like your photos of the mist in the distance.

You could have done Whitewisp very easily from Saddle and still dot on to Glenquey with very little effort.

You'll probably have to allow yourself at least 4 hours for that other circuit, Sarah (unless you really are a whippet!). It'd be a good route and one I've considered in either direction. If you throw in a bit of Andrew Gannell, not necessarily to the summit, and then over Skythorn and Cairnmorris, then on to Tarmangie would be the way to go, in my humble opinion. I would have done this in reverse, had I had the time, on this occasion.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:01 pm

I know, I am annoyed we didn't go up then. It was cold and windy and my friend wasn't overly impressed! Unfortunately I am not that fast :lol: I will have a look at my OS map when I get in about Skythorn. I don't mind a nice long walk as long as there is some flat sections :)
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby morag1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Thats a great walk, seems a very short time too. The Ochils are very near you, no excuse for not doing more walks there :D
morag1

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:07 pm

morag1 wrote:Thats a great walk, seems a very short time too. The Ochils are very near you, no excuse for not doing more walks there :D

Thanks, Morag, no pressure then!

The Ochils are dear to me, as well as near to me. Wherever I've lived, I've had a view of them, I can see them from my workplace and, morbid I know, my plot in the graveyard even has a view (not that I intend to be using it anytime soon)!
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby alfie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:12 pm

that first walker ye passed was me i think pal!a was on ma way to tarmangie fae whitewisp!a started at tormaukin hotel and climbed innerdownie,whitewisp,tarmangie,kingseat,andrew gannel,ben cleuch and down ben ever to woodland park in alva!ma sister in law picked me up and took me back to tormaukin for ma car,it was a great day in some great hills!nice report pal! :clap:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:28 am

alfie wrote:that first walker ye passed was me i think pal!a was on ma way to tarmangie fae whitewisp!a started at tormaukin hotel and climbed innerdownie,whitewisp,tarmangie,kingseat,andrew gannel,ben cleuch and down ben ever to woodland park in alva!ma sister in law picked me up and took me back to tormaukin for ma car,it was a great day in some great hills!nice report pal! :clap:

Cheers, Alfie. Green jacket? That was a good leg stretch you had. I should have gone straight back over Whitewisp but chose to traverse the South side, overcooked it slightly and met a couple of the scars in the hillside and had to regain some height. Tried to check your progress from Saddle Hill with my binos but no sign so you'd either already crested Tarmangie and were on your way or were hunkering down behind the wall or cairn for a rest?! Which glen did you come up from Tormaukin?
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby alfie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:43 pm

aye bud it was me wi green jacket!i came up innerdownie from the houses at burnfoot with glenquay resorvoir on my left!a was gonna shout on ye cos a thought ye wer ma pal from work who is a regular on kingseat,tarmangie and whitewisp!haha !
DSCF3479.JPG
glenquay resorvoir from innerdownie
DSCF3480.JPG
whitewisp and tarmangie from innerdownie
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:00 am

Nice pics, Alfie. Next time perhaps.
Cheers.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland