walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ledge Route, Ben Nevis. Who's idea was this?!!!

Ledge Route, Ben Nevis. Who's idea was this?!!!

Postby nathan79 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Date walked: 04/03/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 11.6 km

Ascent: 1373m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cheeky wee weekend in Glencoe (a mere fortnight after my last weekend there! :lol: )

Original intention to hit up Curved Ridge and test out some gear. Some of it just new, some of it new and unfamiliar.

A motley crew of the novices myself, Iain Watson, and Gavin99 in the more experienced company of Mountainstar and Keith Harper.
A disappointing lack of the white stuff on The big Buachaille led to Keith suggesting Ledge Route on Ben Nevis as a snowier alternative. Having been no closer to Ben Nevis than wanders down Glen Nevis I though "great!". Eventually it hit me that the day would no longer be a shorter one on a route I'd done before, but a long walk in, a big scary rock-face and untrodden territory for me.

A sensible night all-round in the Clachaig on Friday (how rare that must be for us lot!) Up bright and early to drop Monty off at the start of the Aonach Eagach and picked Keith up on my way back to the hostel. Troops on board onward and soon parked up by the Glen Nevis SYHA. All geared up and off up at 9am.
Conditions looking promising, hints of blue sky here and there.

Soon linked up with the pony track. Only a handful of other people to be seen so far and even up to the point of us leaving the pony track to head round past the lochan. Some nasty patches of ice to be skipped around, over or (as I did with one) slipped upon.
I was eager to see the imposing figure of the north side. When it's intimidating hulk revealed itself as we got nearer and nearer the CIC hut I could see why it had such a reputation. Mean, moody and monochrome is the description I think fits it best.
Looking up from the CIC hut as we donned helmets and harnesses and unsheathed our ice axes, I soon regretted asking which was our route. Gulp!

After a welcome refreshment break we headed onto the white stuff and soon strapped on the crampons. 18 months ago I'd bought myself some crampons and it was now at last that they came out of their bag. Some double-checking with the voices of experience and, after some necessary adjustment, I finally got to know what it was like to walk with them on. Reassuringly secure, even on rock(the thought of which concerned me most) it felt great to pop my crampon cherry.
Helmet, harness, axe in hand, crampons on, I felt like a proper mountaineer! :D

Weaving our way through rocky outcrops and icy water features, I found it harder as we got higher. Lungs huffing and puffing, thighs burning it was clear I'd been neglecting my hill fitness(though I'm not convinced I've ever really had any!) and the rest of the day would be one of torturous toiling. Oh how I envied my fitter companions!
Stop-start going up towards no5 gully and our detour right for the start of the Ledge route. Ever mindful to take in the magnificent view of Tower Ridge and take what pictures I could along the way.
A butt-clenching moment at one point when Keith pointed out some avalanche debri. :shock:
A challenging mix of soft snow, hard snow, ice and rock and eventually the bottom of the Ledge reached at last. Almost beaten by the walk in! Not good!
I actually found it a bit easier going now we were on the ridge and not ascending a steep snowy slope. Mentally anyway, my legs found it just as hard I think! A welcome break came at the narrowest section of the ridge where we stopped while a couple of climbers using ropes made their way over this.
For March, I guess the weather wasn't too bad. The Ben was never clear but CMD just cleared of cloud at one point. It was about 5oC and not feeling too cold for the most part. A bit of a chilly breeze as we got higher and more exposed but not a day of uncomfortable extremes.
The cloud was around us as we made our way to the top, but I could see three of my companions ahead and most crucially all the top of the ledge route.
Shuffle, stagger, hobble, heave. At last victory! Veni, vidi, vici. Almost 800m up from where we geared up at the CIC hut.
Mountainstar greeted me with a high five and I collapsed on a convenient and welcoming rock.
Handshakes all round.
I ached on the way up, I was aching now, I knew I'd be aching on the way down, and the next few days would be unthinkable agony but all well worth it.

I've waffled on so I won't say much about the descent other than I couldn't wait to get down to below the snowline and get on solid ground again.

Back to the car around 5. A tough challenging day for me, and for Iain, Gavin and myself an introduction to some proper winter mountaineering.

A big thanks to my fellow mountaineers who I hope had as rewarding a day as me (but less pain in the aftermath :lol: )

Enough wordy jibber-jabber, here are the pics. A combination of my own and Mountainstar's.

IMG_0540.JPG
Onward from the car

IMG_0542.JPG
Down the glen

IMG_0546.JPG
Heading for the clouds

IMG_0549.JPG
Goodbye pony track

IMG_0550.JPG
1st glimpse of the north side

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (2).JPG
Helmets and harnesses on by the CIC

IMG_0564.JPG
The route awaiting. Eeek!

IMG_0565.JPG

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (4).JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (5).JPG

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (7).JPG

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (8).JPG

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (11).JPG

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (12).JPG

Attachments
Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (14).JPG
Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (6).JPG
Last edited by nathan79 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Ledge Route, Ben Nevis. Who's idea was this?!!!

Postby nathan79 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:33 pm

More pics

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (15).JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (18).JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (19).JPG

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (20).JPG
Almost there!

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (21).JPG
Head hung low, five high in the sky.

Ben Nevis North Face, Ledge route (22).JPG
Victory!

IMG_0582.JPG
Spoils of war claimed. Time for these warriors to leave the battlefield.

LedgeRoute.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

nathan79
Hill Bagger

Postby mountainstar » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Great report Nathan, on an equally great day.
For a crampon novice you did good :clap:
I really enjoyed taking you 3 along for a "bit of a different" experiance. (It's usually me in that position with Canny Geordie Keith) The main thing was that you all enjoyed it and wanted more...so roll on Chamonix and the Alps! :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:11 pm

Oh that looked like it was a lot of fun.. I'm affy jealous :lol: Well done for popping your cherry :clap: Bet you have the bug now :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby old danensian » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Stonking Nathan, just stonking.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:104
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby monty » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Superb Nathan. A great way to spend time with friends. It was good to see you in pain all the way home :lol:
monty

Postby Keith Harper » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Great report. have to start thinking about something a bit more difficult in the Alps for you. :lol: Glad you all had a great day.
Keith Harper
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:57
Hewitts:38
Wainwrights:54   

Postby Meatball » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Very nice!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Great report & great pics Nathan. Looks an awesome but scary route.Well done.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Great report, Nathan, of an amazing day :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Bod » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Great report Nathan and superbly described. A day you'll always remember :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby mgmt! » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Congratulations again Nathan and gang, was nice to meet you all at the weekend. My fellow Lmc member James popped his Nevis cherry on Saturday withe, we climbed gardyloo gully were a 10 metre snow and ice tunnel gave a fantastic ending to a great first ascent for james
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Gavin99 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:25 am

Smashing report Nathan , what a magic day . Did the whisky and radox work ? :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby nathan79 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 am

Legs are still painful but I'm not hobbling anymore thankfully. Still well worth the pain for a day put like that.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Great stuff Nathan
Knew you were apprehensive when you had only one nightcap before the climb.
Next time ... I'm in!
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland