walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall na Leitreach

Meall na Leitreach

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Route description: Meall na Leitreach, from Dalnaspidal

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall na Leitreach

Date walked: 15/02/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 775m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A weekend away with the Glasgow Hillwalking Club seen me bagging this wee corbett on route to Aviemore.

Parked at the layby 76 and headed south crossing the railway bridge and down towards Dalnaspidal Lodge. We spoke with some builders renovating the lodge and seemingly it’s the same guy who owns Ben Alder Lodge who owns this one too.
aviemore 15th - 17th feb 2013 001.jpg
Meall na Leitreach from the layby

Headed along the path through the lodge and outbuildings, through the gate and over the bridge.
aviemore 15th - 17th feb 2013 031.jpg
track looking back at the lodge

aviemore 15th - 17th feb 2013 004.jpg

aviemore 15th - 17th feb 2013 006.jpg

From here we headed south up the ridge towards Meall na Leitreach.
Lots of soft snow and lots of people disappearing and sinking through the soft snow.
aviemore 15th - 17th feb 2013 008.jpg
towards the Sow of atholl

It was an easy climb all the way up the hill, although 2 folk did gave up and headed back down early on due to health conditions.
We kept to the left of the stream which was covered in the snow, all the way up and once at the top headed west from the bealach until we reached a cairn.
aviemore 15th - 17th feb 2013 013.jpg
wee cairn

We stopped here to refuel for 10 minutes and then south towards the summit of Meall na Leitreach.
aviemore 15th - 17th feb 2013 017.jpg
summit pic

Lots of stops along the way and lunch at the top of the summit.
aviemore 15th - 17th feb 2013 018.jpg
summit

aviemore 15th - 17th feb 2013 027.jpg
group summit pic

aviemore 15th - 17th feb 2013 023.jpg
from the summit

From the summit we headed north to pick up the stream again and back the way we came.

Total time 4hours
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:222
Grahams:11   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Re: Meall na Leitreach

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Nice one MT thats a fair group there, didn't know you knew so may people. Good to see you getting some blue sky for a change :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Ta mountain thyme for posting, like you I have this on my radar for doing enroute to bigger and better hills, looks a fine wee dander and by the looks of it much of the snow has dissapeared. I have held back doing it until the snow on the road down to the cottage had gone, I read Black panther's report about car getting stuck. Looks like it's fine now so maybe later this month! :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one MT thats a fair group there, didn't know you knew so may people. Good to see you getting some blue sky for a change :D

Ive hunners of pals... you know that JC!

The Rodmiester wrote:Ta mountain thyme for posting, like you I have this on my radar for doing enroute to bigger and better hills, looks a fine wee dander and by the looks of it much of the snow has dissapeared. I have held back doing it until the snow on the road down to the cottage had gone, I read Black panther's report about car getting stuck. Looks like it's fine now so maybe later this month! :)

Cheers RM.. its a nice wee hill to climb :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:222
Grahams:11   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland