walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby ikt68 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 01/01/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A nice way to start the New Year I thought and surely no-one else daft enough to get up and out early on New Years Day? Wrong. At 9.30 after I'd been going an hour i.e. 2 hours off the summit (for me) a couple of guys were coming down and must have seen the daybreak from the top. Respect!

Just decided to do the tourist track, but given the freezing weather it could have been used as an Olympic bob-sleigh run. So - crampons on almost from the start. Am no expert but I don't see how you could do this hill without them in these conditions but a few people were managing. Saw one enterprising pair with one single crampon each! There wasn't loads of snow, but what was there on the path was compacted and very slippery.

Not much of interest to report; was windy at the top (quelle surprise) but less icy. Reasonable views all round.

Sorry for the less than great pictures - mobile phone ones.

The moon over Loch Lomond

Approach

From near summit

Towards top from same point

Summit

From just below summit
ikt68
Munro compleatist

Munros:156   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Ben Lomond

Postby DonnyW » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Glad your cold cleared ikt68, and that you got out on the hills again.

I was on the top of Ben Lomond just before Xmas this year and I love the views from there..some of the best in the area .. IMO far better than from the top of the Arrochar alps :D

Like you..I have stood twice on its summit in years gone past on New years day..its a great way to start the year. Thanks for the photos and the memories 8)
DonnyW

Postby Lochivraon » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Was on Lomond recently. What a great hill in a great situation. Glad you had a good time. I was the guy waving frantically on Beinn Narnain. Nothing wrong, just full of the joys! :lol:
Happy New Year.
Lochivraon

Postby tmobyrne » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:22 pm

Was on Ben Lomond today (Saturday), not quite so clear as when you did it!!

Good photos!

Terence
tmobyrne

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:35 am

Mobile phone or no - they're great photos!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland