walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corrie Fee at Last

Corrie Fee at Last

Postby laconic surf » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:44 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 05/03/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 843m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been attempting to visit Corrie Fee and the two munros above it for nearly six months, but the weather, other trips, cancellations, failed MOT'S etc etc had all put paid to my plans. But this tuesday Balgonie was free, the weather was promising good things and the trip was firmly on :D
Pulling up at the lodge, a route card was filled out and posted in the ranger's box, kit was on and off we went, really looking forward to the day ahead. The sky was blue, no wind to speak of as we headed into Glen Doll forest.

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

We had to stop after just a few minutes and take a layer off - the temperatures had noticebly risen since we were last out. After enjoying the stroll through the trees, there she was hiding behind the trees ahead:

IMG_0150.JPG
Here she comes

Then a few steps later the Corrie opened up before us, magnificent in its winter glory. All we could do was just soak up the atmosphere and admire the beauty of this natural made ampitheatre.

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

Onwards we went through the Corrie and began the climb up by the waterfall. Spikes were donned for this section as the path is buried beneath the ice and snow and has formed at an angle so the upclimb was more precarious than it usually would have been. Below the gully there were also signs of avalance debris and whilst we were tempted to just continue up the gully we opted to er on the side of caution and move off the slope and contour round the rocks above. We paused at the top to have a final look back at Corrie Fee bathing beneath the blue winter sky.

IMG_0160.JPG
Heading up the gully

IMG_0161.JPG
avalanche debris

IMG_0159.JPG
The view back

IMG_0162.JPG
View back down the gully

From here we headed up the gentler slopes taking a direct line to the top of Mayar before reaching the summit and enjoying the views over the Cairngorms

IMG_0164.JPG
The frozen upper slopes

IMG_0166.JPG
looking back

IMG_0167.JPG
Heading for the summit

IMG_0169.JPG
View from Mayar

IMG_0173.JPG

After soaking in the views and a bite to eat it was time to head across to Driesh. We crossed paths with a nice chap on the way to Mayar who was concerned about descending Corrie Fee without an axe or crampons. We both felt there was a couple of dodgy steps neither us would have liked to have tackled without spikes so he decided to head back down the way he'd come up - hopefully he got down safe.
We then reached the bottom of Driesh and we both admitted later it actually looked quite menacing from below, but it was one of those that look far worse from lower down, particularly as it had some pretty impressive cornices :lol: Once were were climbing up it was fine, nothing concerning at all and we made our way to the final summit of the day.

IMG_0176.JPG
route across to Dreish

IMG_0183.JPG
Bottom of Dreish

IMG_0192.JPG
Nice cornice

IMG_0186.JPG
summit

From here we headed down and now was a great opportunity for some glissading action - and what speed! :lol: 8) Down in no time we took the path down, again pretty precarious in places as the path was covered in soft slippy snow angled towards the plummeting slopes below.

IMG_0194.JPG
path down

We had to concentrate on careful foot placement and despite the odd wobble we got down without any drama to the forest. Then Balgonie tempts fate by saying this would be the first walk where he wouldn't need to clean his boots after - just seconds before we disappeared into a forest bog :lol: :roll:
Nice walk back to the cars reflecting on seeing Corrie Fee at last and a superb day out 8)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: Corrie Fee at Last

Postby morag1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:49 pm

Nice report Laconic, I've always wanted to see Corrie Fee too, must try to get there soon.
I wont be climbing up there in the winter though :D
morag1

Postby simon-b » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:54 pm

I agree Fee is a superb corrie, LS. Two fine Munros that perhaps don't promise to be the most exciting, but turn out surprisingly good when you do them. As for keeping your boots clean on a frozen mountain, then coming down and finding the thaw's set in, and plunging into the mud at the final hurdle - that's a familiar story :lol: .
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Very enjoyable report LS. Makes the Corrie and the hills irresistable. Hope to meet up again when out and about.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby tina bonar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Well done lucas,you managed to do our two "local" hills at last.some cracking photos you took but the weather was on your side! Hopefully catch up with you up north next month
tina bonar
Mountaineer

Munros:163   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Superb LS. Great photos of Corriefee by the way. That place always look exceptional winter or summer. :D
monty

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:05 pm

Corrie Fee is some place.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby balgonie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:15 pm

Great report laconic I'm glad I've got you as a partner you capture the moments well in your reports :-D
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gmr82 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:11 am

Great report, can't wait to do this and also the nearby walk to the Ben Tirran via Loch Brandy too. Looks such a lovely area
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby laconic surf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:17 am

morag1 wrote:Nice report Laconic, I've always wanted to see Corrie Fee too, must try to get there soon.
I wont be climbing up there in the winter though :D

Thanks Morag. You'll love it when you see it. We met one guy who had set up his camera and tripod and was spending the morning taking different photos of the Corrie, a great way to spend a few hours outdoors.

simon-b wrote:I agree Fee is a superb corrie, LS. Two fine Munros that perhaps don't promise to be the most exciting, but turn out surprisingly good when you do them. As for keeping your boots clean on a frozen mountain, then coming down and finding the thaw's set in, and plunging into the mud at the final hurdle - that's a familiar story :lol: .

I can imagine these two are probably at their best in winter, but on a clear day at any time of the year they offer great views - with the bonus of visiting the Corrie on the way up :D Cheers Simon

Scotjamie wrote:Very enjoyable report LS. Makes the Corrie and the hills irresistable. Hope to meet up again when out and about.

Cheers Alan. Hopefully catch up with you in Torridon if you're still heading up?

tina bonar wrote:Well done lucas,you managed to do our two "local" hills at last.some cracking photos you took but the weather was on your side! Hopefully catch up with you up north next month

:D Cheers mate, yep hopefully will have a blether with you and Colleen in Torridon (over a whisky or two :wink: )

monty wrote:Superb LS. Great photos of Corriefee by the way. That place always look exceptional winter or summer. :D

Cheers Monty, will def have to revisit it in summer sometime :D

gammy leg walker wrote:Corrie Fee is some place.

It is Gammy, aye. Probably wouldn't know it was there either without this hill walking of ours 8)

balgonie wrote:Great report laconic I'm glad I've got you as a partner you capture the moments well in your reports :-D

Cheers mate, great day out - with many more trips to plan :D

gmr82 wrote:Great report, can't wait to do this and also the nearby walk to the Ben Tirran via Loch Brandy too. Looks such a lovely area

Cheers. You'll love it when you get through there. So much there to explore...
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby Fudgie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:48 am

Cracking pictures. I visited Corrie Fee on a cloudy day and was still blown away by it so it's good to see someone get a better view 8)
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Sabbathstevie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Great report Laconic! :clap: And some stunning pics of the Corrie Fee to boot - given that Mayar and the surrounding area was my first (and most frequently visited since) foray into the world of hillwalking I just can't resist the place, though have yet to see it clad so elegantly in white. Many thanks for sharing!
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Great report...The same two are on my list this year and it was great to see them in the snow...just reminds me to head up there soon :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby PeteR » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Corrie Fee really is some place :D Looks great in the snow. As has been said, these two hills provide a better day than you might first expect. And you got some good weather there too, to get the best out of the day.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby londonwalker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi LC

Great report and photos, clearly a man of many talents! :clap: :clap: . These are a couple of much underated munros - a superb hill walk in my humble opinion. love the view down the corrie when you first come out of the forest:
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland