walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Going solo across Mayer and Driesh

Going solo across Mayer and Driesh

Postby dektasker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 05/03/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 835m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have done 26 Munros but this was my first solo walk. It is an hours or so drive from home up to the Glen Clova area and the walk around Glen Doll. I had looked at the routes on both walkhighlands and the Steve Fallon site. I decided to walk the route give by walkhighlands up to the entrance of the Corrie Fee Nature Reserve and across and up across the bowl and then by the side of water fall.

The views from the entrance are stunning with the bowl shape of the Corrie looking splendid.
View from start of Corrie Fee (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

I followed the path (when I could see it for the snow and the ice) up towards the water fall at the Knapps of fee at the back of the Corrie.
The sugar bowl (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

Looking behind me see Glen Doll which just looks stunning.
Views towards the Nature reservice entrance (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

Views back to glen doll 3 (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

The view of the nature reserve from near the bowl 1 (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

I walked up the crags to the side of the falls which was very steep and really route one. Someone had been there a few days earlier as their footprints had iced over but at least gave me a faint route to follow. This was strength sapping and stamina busting and I was happy not to be returning the same way. The incline is very steep and slippy. Fine for going up, must be horrendous coming back down.

Once up the cragg and on to the plateau the walk becomes fairly easy and what a fine days weather i had.
Must admit to be a bit nervous being on my own but once you view the summit you know you’re on the right path. The map reading skills where being practiced and so far so good.
The views from the summit back to the crags and the waterfall are good especially on clear day like this.
The views from the summit of Mayer are great especially with the covering of snow. Weird to think in a few weeks time the landscape will be totally different.
Route to Mayer from the crags and the water fall (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

Mayer Summit (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

More views from Mayer (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

Now the very pleasant walk on to Driesh, I had thought about just doing Mayer but since I had the height and put so much effort in to the climb I decided to carry on.Also the thought of going down that iced covered crag convinced me to carry on. The bealach between Mayer and Driesh is an easy walk and does not take too long. The summit of Driesh was reached fairly quickly

walking towards driesh and Corrie Fee below (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

Driesh Summit (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

And the views from the top of Kilbo corrie across the glen are very good. However the best was still to come. Back to the bealach and the views both sides to Glen Doll and to Glen Prosen are exceptional and well worth the days effort before the decent down the shank of Druimfollow and the Kilbo path.

Views from the bealach between mayer and driesh (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr

Views from the bealach between mayer and driesh to Glen Prosen (1 of 1) by dektasker, on Flickr
Feeling great having down it all myself, great days weather, great views and not a foot wrong until I reached the forest and the burn of Kilbo. I got lost!!, only for a few minutes and I had to retrace my steps. I found the path and I was back on track. Back to the car with a camera full of some great view, memories and a great deal of satisfaction.
dektasker

Munros:271   Corbetts:2

Re: Going solo across Mayer and Driesh

Postby dooterbang » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:59 pm

well done on your first solo trip.

I remember the fear and excitement of mine and i had 70 under my belt :shock:

We all get lost but its a learning experience and your instincts picked this up quickly.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby balgonie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Well done dektasker, I've done a few solos myself and the fear, excitement and elation on completion is a true buzz!
I was up at mayar and driesh that same day with laconic surf
Good report :-D
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby dektasker » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Hi Balgonie

You must have been the guy with the great looking Spaniel. We got lucky and had a great day for!!http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=29548#

Dooterbang
Thanks for the feedback. It is scary and exciting going solo for the first time. Suppose it is like passing your driving test then going behind the wheel for the first time on your own. Scary but fun

dek
dektasker

Munros:271   Corbetts:2

Postby balgonie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:58 pm

hahaha!!! I don't think laconic surf would appreciate being called a spaniel :-D
But no that was not I, but we did see the guy with the black spaniel though and two older guys with a brown spaniel :-)
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby PeteR » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Some super photos there :D Two reports from Corrie Fee isn quick sucession. I see a trend starting :lol: And well done on getting that first solo walk under your belt :D Not a bad couple of hills to do it on either.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby gymman47 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Some wonderful pictures and well done. looks like a great day out . :clap:
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:55 pm

Well done on your first solo walk - cant remember when I did my first solo outing - may have been arrocher alps - however took years and years before I ventured out in winter and then agin winter solo - so well done :clap: :D great pictures too :clap:
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland