walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brothers Ridge, Ciste Dhubh

Brothers Ridge, Ciste Dhubh


Postby gman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:08 pm

Route description: Brothers Ridge - Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Meadhoin, Ciste Dhubh, Saileag, Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg

Date walked: 06/03/2013

Time taken: 8.15 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1635m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).


Brothers6-3-2013actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts



Think MWIS had 90% chance of cloud free Munros and this turned out to be accurate - just the top 10% of the hills were in cloud :lol: Time & distance include bike ride from Cluanie Inn to the start of the walk.


Got on the bike about 8:20, not much traffic at this time. Slight climb initially then it's all coasting downhill :D Just under 20 mins later was at the start of the walk, steep grass:
Image

I was about 400m altitude here:
Image

Path was a bit wet & muddy further down, stonier towards the ridge:
Image

Made it to the ridge, er... no views. Turn right for Brothers:
Image

Or left for Sisters:
Image

Soon reached first cairn, Saileag:
Image

Then onwards:
Image

Towards Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg:
Image

Great ridge walk with scrambly bits that can be bypassed, I opted for the scramble to compensate for clag:
Image

Sun came out, looking back to descent from Saileag:
Image

Cairn at top of Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg:
Image

Narrow ridge with steep drop either side leading to true summit, had the ice axe out for this:
Image

Then back along the narrow ridge and continued to Aonach Meadhoin:
Image

More scrambly bits:
Image

Cairn:
Image

Then down to narrow ridge leading to Sgurr an Fhuarail, wind now blowing a bit and this section seemed like it was still in the middle of winter:
Image

Top of Sgurr an Fhuarail and decision time: add on Ciste Dhubh? Seems pretty close and it's a 3 hour drive to get here so why not?
Image

It's not on the ridge so quite a bit of descent/reascent:
Image

Am Bathach, Corbett leading to Ciste Dhubh:
Image

Boggy bealach then steep grassy ascent:
Image

Can see the Cluanie Inn from here :D
Image

Gradient eases and hill gets narrower further up:
Image

Brothers ridge looks clear of cloud now that I'm over here!
Image

Cloud suddenly lifted and got a great view of the top...which predictably disappeared as soon as I got the camera out:
Image

Cairn:
Image

Cloud briefly cleared again, view back down from cairn:
Image

Back to boggy bealach, can see the Cluanie Inn from here so obvious which way to go. Path initially on the left of the burn, then cross over to the right:
Image

Faint track, gets muddy further down:
Image

Then joins a landrover track leading back to the Inn:
Image
User avatar
gman
 
Posts: 627
Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   
Joined: Sep 12, 2011

Re: Brothers Ridge, Ciste Dhubh

Postby PeteR » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:23 pm

gman wrote:Think MWIS had 90% chance of cloud free Munros and this turned out to be accurate - just the top 10% of the hills were in cloud :lol:


Careful, they'll be using this as a disclaimer on their forecasts soon :lol:

gman wrote:Cloud suddenly lifted and got a great view of the top...which predictably disappeared as soon as I got the camera out:


:lol: :lol: I think we've all been there a few times.

An enjoyable read though and some good pics, despite the weather :D
User avatar
PeteR
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 1946
Munros:282   Corbetts:147
Grahams:85   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:153   Hewitts:3
Islands:7
Joined: Jan 27, 2010
Location: North Ayrshire

Re: Brothers Ridge, Ciste Dhubh

Postby simon-b » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Great pictures, gman. The ridges and summits look well good coming in and out of the cloud. I'm looking forward to coming back to Kintail at some point to do these.
User avatar
simon-b
Mountain Walker
 
Posts: 1902
Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Grahams:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:156
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4
Joined: Jan 2, 2012
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Re: Brothers Ridge, Ciste Dhubh

Postby Graeme D » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:28 pm

This looks like not too shabby a day after all! Some great colour contrasts in some of the photos. Rather annoyingly I have done everything either side of Saileag but not Saileag itself. It's not the sort of hill I'd want to make a special trip to Kintail for, so given that I still haven't done Ciste Dubh, I will concoct a route that combines both. Can't believe it's almost a year since I stood at that bealach and turned left for the Sisters! :shock:
User avatar
Graeme D
 
Posts: 3411
Munros:215   Corbetts:102
Grahams:64   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:55   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:5
Joined: Oct 17, 2008
Location: Perth

Re: Brothers Ridge, Ciste Dhubh

Postby gman » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:52 pm

It's a long journey for one Munro, don't think Saileag on its own would have the drawing power! Thinking about doing the Sisters from west to east which would let me cycle downhill to the start :D , but it would mean descending the steep path to the road :shock:
User avatar
gman
 
Posts: 627
Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   
Joined: Sep 12, 2011

Re: Brothers Ridge, Ciste Dhubh

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 am

Fantastic report gman Love the detail and practical advice, allied to photos. Well done. :clap:

Hoping to do these four this weekend, and your report, combined with others (Rodmeister, GillC) should be a big help. :D
User avatar
Lightfoot2017
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 703
Munros:160   
Joined: Jun 28, 2012
Location: Dunfermline

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).



Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Crunchie, keithhughes, Pastychomper and 42 guests