walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chased off Strathconon Corbetts and up the Cat's Back

Chased off Strathconon Corbetts and up the Cat's Back

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 pm

Route description: Knockfarrel and Cnoc Mòr, Strathpeffer

Date walked: 06/03/2013

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's not often (in my experience) MWIS has got it as wrong as it did on Wednesday. :? It said 90% cloud free Munro summits for the North West - but it didn't look anything remotely like that where we were.

Two of us were post flu so we wanted to do something not too demanding, not too far from home but that would give us good views. After reading reports by Malky and Black Panther we felt drawn to the Corbetts Sgurr a'Mhuilinn and Meallan nan Uan in Strathconon. :D

When I looked across the firth at 7.00 am things didn't look promising with leaden grey skies and mist. I optimistically hoped it was a sea haar that would shift once we got inland but when we parked on the patch of grass opposite the last forestry cottage in Strathconon it wasn't looking any better with not even a chink of blue in the west. Unusually for me I didn't want to get out of the car and would rather we had just kept on driving. :lol:

The cloud was low over our target hills but we decided we'd make a start and see if things improved. For me the 90% had to mean something and surely it was going to clear? The initial climb up the slope wasn't as wet as it might have been and we were soon beyond the fence round the plantation.

View back to the car
DSC02948-large.jpg

Kath and Moira looking cheerier than the weather
DSC02949-large.jpg

Meandering River Meig
DSC02950-large.jpg

We trudged onwards and upwards looking hopefully south towards the fuzzy bank of cloud where we believed Creag Ruadh to be hiding. When the wind picked up I had a fleeting moment of thinking it was going to clear. But it wasn't long before we were into thick, cold drizzly clag. :(

Creag Ruadh
482199_10151459253028788_1837281892_n.jpg

Last photo before we disappeared into the clag
DSC02951-large.jpg

Once on the ridge to Creag Ruadh we had a choice - carry on, get cold and wet and see nothing or pull the plug and come back another day when we'd be able to walk over to the northern tops and see the views. Moira's face told us she for one wasn't enjoying it - but she said she didn't want to be a party pooper. She wasn't. The party had already been pooped by the dreich weather. So after an hour and a quarter climbing the pathless slopes we headed back to the car and ate most of our lunch at a ridiculously early hour out of sheer depression. :lol:

Suitably fortified we drove to Strathpeffer, parked in the Blackmuir Wood Forestry car park and set off up Knockfarrel, known to locals as the Cat's Back. As we drove up to the car park we noticed a man beside his car at the edge of the woods with a spade in his hand. He was digging up snowdrops! :shock: If I hadn't been a passenger in a moving car I think I'd have said something. It's not very British to say anything when we see folk doing what they shouldn't but it seemed so wrong to take the snowdrops and deprive everyone else of the pleasure of seeing them! :?

Not far beyond the car park we passed a collection of peaceful looking wooden sculptures.

DSC02954-large.jpg

DSC02953-larges.jpg

DSC02955-large.jpg

At the marker post we turned left off the main path
DSC02956-large.jpg

Cnoc Mor ahead
DSC02957-large.jpg

View down to east end of Strathpeffer
DSC02958-large.jpg

DSC02960-large.jpg

We could have driven up!
DSC02961-large.jpg

Vehicle turning area at saddle between Knockfarrel and the Cnoc Mor ridge
DSC02962-large.jpg

The top of Knockfarrel is fringed by some odd looking rocks that are the remains of the iron-age vitrified fort built here (like the one at the top of Craig Phadrig in Inverness). Looking east from the top we should have had good views of Dingwall and the Cromarty Firth. But we couldn't see much. :?

View towards Cromarty Firth
DSC02964-large.jpg

View west from top (Moira's pic)
62448_10151459253228788_530481299_n.jpg

Heading back
DSC02966-large.jpg

Don't know who the RATS are but glad they won the day! :D
DSC02967-large.jpg

View west to Strathpeffer
DSC02968-large.jpg

Looking back at the Cat's Back
DSC02969-large.jpg

Looking down on the houses overlooking Loch Ussie reminded me of the wonderful old lady who worked as postmistress there until her mid eighties and continued living alone in her cottage until she was 98 and almost totally blind. The last time I visited her in her own home she insisted on giving me a cup of tea in a bone china teacup and a scone which I think she had baked herself. :D

http://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/Features/Party-time-as-Jessie-turns-100-7186.htm

Jessie died in December 2011 aged 102. They don't make them like that any more. :clap:

Loch Ussie
DSC02970-large.jpg

DSC02971-large.jpg

We could hear sounds of forestry work up ahead and then we saw evidence of it
DSC02973-large.jpg

There were signs saying "work in progress" so we didn't continue to the top of Cnoc Mor but turned right through an obvious gap in the fence and down a path that led back to the outward path.

To avoid felling work we went this way
DSC02974-large.jpg

Back at the car we discussed where to head for coffee. First we tried the Victorian station tearoom in Strathpeffer but it was closed so then we headed into Dingwall to the station tearoom which does very good cappucino and we had a large slice of carrot cake, lemon cake and malteser cake thus undoing all the calorific benefit of the walking we did. :wink:
Last edited by dogplodder on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Chased off Strathconnon Corbetts and up the Cat's Back

Postby Lenore » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:49 am

What a lovely read :-) I think you were quite right to treat yourself to some serious cake to make up for the disappointment of the weather ;-) Seems like you did have a good time in the end, right?
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Chased off Strathconnon Corbetts and up the Cat's Back

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Lenore wrote:What a lovely read :-) I think you were quite right to treat yourself to some serious cake to make up for the disappointment of the weather ;-) Seems like you did have a good time in the end, right?

We did have a good time. And you're right - serious cake is compensation on a bad weather day! :lol:
dogplodder

Re: Chased off Strathconon Corbetts and up the Cat's Back

Postby soulminer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:31 am

Back on the Cake and Coffee, that's the addiction got a grip on you lot again :lol: Will it be a 'Tea-room compleation' we will be reading about soon? With a possibly celebratory walk thrown in :lol:
soulminer

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Strathconnon Corbetts are getting some bad press :wink:
We had a similar experience with them. The first time we set off to climb the two, we only made it up to just below the first peak, Creag Ruadh. Weather was nasty - cloudy, windy and then heavens opened and we got completely soaked. We looked like two wet rats, my boots were leaking, I was so miserable that I admitted defeat.
We returned to them twice more, once in winter conditions, and they turned out to be a fantastic experience :D :D

Knockfarrel is my favourite "little" hill, such a shame that a large chunk of forest was cut down recently. The best place to collect ceps (aka porcini mushrooms) was destroyed!!!

We were on Beinn Sgritheall on Wednesday and enjoyed some sunny spells, but the wind was strong enough to make us struggle on the ridge.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:40 pm

soulminer wrote:Back on the Cake and Coffee, that's the addiction got a grip on you lot again :lol: Will it be a 'Tea-room compleation' we will be reading about soon? With a possibly celebratory walk thrown in :lol:

Oh no, we've been rumbled. :lol:

That's a great idea about tearoom compleation - anyone know how many there are? :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:09 am

BlackPanther wrote:Strathconnon Corbetts are getting some bad press :wink:
We had a similar experience with them. The first time we set off to climb the two, we only made it up to just below the first peak, Creag Ruadh. Weather was nasty - cloudy, windy and then heavens opened and we got completely soaked. We looked like two wet rats, my boots were leaking, I was so miserable that I admitted defeat.
We returned to them twice more, once in winter conditions, and they turned out to be a fantastic experience :D :D

Think we turned round about where you did the first time and I remembered from reading your report you'd done that - which reassured me it was the right thing to do! :lol:

We're looking forward to going back in better weather when we can include the northern tops and hopefully get the views. :D
dogplodder

Postby alvason » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Nice walking and I enjoyed your story.
alvason
Ambler

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Great story and walk!! I have to say I did that as well...digging out snowdrops for my garden :roll: but I found a spot in a forest, were there are thousands...so I guessed a few missing would not matter to anyone...and since then they are speading well in my garden :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:52 am

alvason wrote:Nice walking and I enjoyed your story.

Thanks Alvason :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:59 am

Mountainlove wrote:Great story and walk!! I have to say I did that as well...digging out snowdrops for my garden :roll: but I found a spot in a forest, were there are thousands...so I guessed a few missing would not matter to anyone...and since then they are speading well in my garden :D

Yeah maybe I over reacted ML. MInd you there's a difference digging up snowdrops from a small patch by the road at the edge of the woods and digging them up from a huge patch deep in the forest. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby lochussie » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:02 am

RATS: Ross-shire Against Tollie Superdump!
Shame about the new felling, that was the last of the old pre big machine pine needle paths, lovely walking.
lochussie

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:28 pm

lochussie wrote:RATS: Ross-shire Against Tollie Superdump!

Thanks Lochussie - I never would have worked that out! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 pm

With various things like looking after elderly mum this was the last walk I did with Kath. I keep wishing I'd been with her last Tuesday.... hate to think of her being alone and I could have called for help when things went wrong. Heart-broken for her family. She was a kind, wonderful and talented woman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-22702410
dogplodder

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:20 pm

dogplodder wrote:With various things like looking after elderly mum this was the last walk I did with Kath. I keep wishing I'd been with her last Tuesday.... hate to think of her being alone and I could have called for help when things went wrong. Heart-broken for her family. She was a kind, wonderful and talented woman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-22702410

My thoughts & prayers are with you & Kath"s family :(
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland