walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin

Meikle Bin

Postby Alan S » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 02/01/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 397m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Actual walking time 3hrs 30 mins
Me and Wullie
Distance 10.3km
Max altitude 574m
Min altitude 214m
Total ascents 525m

meikle bin 020110.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Starting at the car park opposite todholes farm on the B818 Denny-Fintry road.There is a car park here big enough for around 10 cars
Meikle bin 1 car park.JPG

Walk through the barrier and after a few hunderd mtrs carron valley reservoir comes into view
Meikle bin 2 carron dam.JPG
Meikle bin 3.JPG

There are good views here of the dam and surrounding woods (except to the north of the new wind farm across the road)
Follow the track round the dam ignoring 2 tracks that head to the right (these can be seen on the map above) until you cross a bridge over the river carron which brings you to a junction.This route follows the track to the right as the other will take you round the dam
Meikle bin 4 frozen burn.JPG
Meikle bin 5 bridge.JPG
Meikle bin 6.JPG
Meikle bin 7.JPG

Continue up the track and after 500mtrs there is another track to the right that must be ignored as this is a dead end.The track for this route is just a few mtrs ahead to the right.you now follow the track just before it comes to an end.took a few mins here to take in the views as the snow had stopped falling and blue sky appeared but not for long
Meikle bin 8.JPG
Meikle bin 9.JPG
Meikle bin 10.JPG
Meikle bin 11.JPG
Meikle bin 12.JPG

The path through the woods is to the left and fairly easy to spot
Meikle bin 13 path through woods.JPG
Meikle bin 14 out of the woods.JPG

Once out of the woods the climb is fairly straightforward,it is good to be away from the track now and on to the hillside which today was very exposed.The climb to the top from here should take approx 20mins to the summit where there are normally good views but not today
Meikle bin 15.JPG
Meikle bin 16.JPG

Didnt hang around here today and not the usual visit to the plane wreckage on the hill as i probably wouldnt have seen it today so headed back down to the woods for some lunch.the snow came on really heavy for around half an hour but the forrestry keeps the wind out
Meikle bin 17.JPG
Meikle bin 18.JPG

Return by the same route
Other routes can be by heading over the top of meikle bin to do a circular route but i have never done this
Or by starting at the head of the dam and walking right round to meet this route i have done this once but this was quite long through the forrestry and after the newly built carron valley mountain bike circuit this can be very busy with cyclists.
Last edited by Alan S on Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:214   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: Meikle Bin

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Cheers ALan - sorry about the problem with this being lost. Looks very snoyw! Thanks for the report, we'll go that way when we do add Meikle Bin.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:68   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:117   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks Paul
it was no problem its my fault for pressing back up before i was finished,its not the first time its happened :)
The snow was really deep in places but some kind person had drove up the track in the last couple of days and we just walked in the tracks :D
It wasnt that bad on the hill either,at worst it was only about 3" deep it had all been blown off down to the forest as i found out
033.JPG
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby delberto » Sat May 08, 2010 5:00 pm

going up in the next week or so- ill let you know what its like in the summer
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Alan S » Sat May 08, 2010 9:52 pm

delberto wrote:going up in the next week or so- ill let you know what its like in the summer

Would be good to see what a view is like :)
This isnt far from me and i see it almost every day but ive only been up it 4 times and never had a view :(

enjoy your day :thumbup:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby gracibaby36 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Have been up the Meikle Bin twice recently thanks to the great info on here! We are doing Ben Nevis next weekend for charity and have done loads of good wee walks like this! Hadn't really prepared me for Ben Lomond on Sunday, but at least I know what to expect now! :D
gracibaby36
Mountain Walker

Munros:7   
Donalds:1

Postby Alan S » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:13 pm

gracibaby36 wrote:Have been up the Meikle Bin twice recently thanks to the great info on here!

Thanks gracibaby glad you found the report usefull.
Best of luck with Ben Nevis :)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland