walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dubh

Beinn Dubh

Postby ngm1scot » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Route description: Beinn Dubh - Glen Striddle horseshoe, Luss

Grahams included on this walk: Beinn Dubh

Date walked: 11/03/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 602m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The week started with the anticipation of a good wee hill in Perthshire - near Dunning. As the week went on, and the weather became increasingly difficult, and the forecast indicated the West was likely to be better, we changed our plans and decided on Beinn Dubh and the horsehoe. By the Friday, the MWIS forecast was looking hopeful - cloud base rising to 750 in the west and a 30-70% chance of cloud free Munro summits. So off we went under a dull and very overcast sky: "but the forecast is for it to clear up boys", I said and we began our trek up Beinn Dubh with light hearts.
IMG_6333.JPG
An evocative view of LL

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

(I have only a very few photographs - you'll understand as you read through)

The sunshine lit the Eastern banks of Loch Lomond for most of the way up but despite the strong winds, never seemed to shift the cloud over enough to give us some of the beautiful golden rays.
IMG_6337.JPG
Sunshine on the East side

Beinn Dubh is a steep wee hill with more false tops than I recall. Maybe that was more down to optimism because the map was quite clear! As we climbed higher the views through Glen Luss got better and back over the Loch more panoramic but fuzzier as the cloud began to lower.
IMG_6335.JPG
Glen Luss and beyond

We climbed up and over the last hump that was out of the cloud to be met with this one:
IMG_6336.JPG
Heading towards one of the summits

And of course, as you do, think this is the top - but it wasn't. Those clouds looked harmless enough but a hazard lay ahead of us.

Once in the cloud, the wind speed picked up to easily 30mph and the fine drizzle quickly became small drops of hailstones which in their turn became snow. Dry and fine at first.

However as we surmounted the last "top" before the summit, and just as the fence appeared as our guide, the snow storm began with a vengeance dropping visibility to 100m or less. The wind got stronger and it became more difficult to stay on your feet but on we climbed up the now slightly less steep incline towards the top.

As we came to the stile to cross the fence, we met another couple who had raced ahead of us earlier. "We've decided to turn back" they said. "Too bad", I replied, "we'll carry on for a bit as its only a few more hundred metres to the top". We found a bit in the lee of the wind, probably just above the crags and hunkered down on the snowy grass and tucked into some food and hot coffee.

My camera had packed in which was a pity as the icicles on the fence were about 4 inches long pointing horizontally into the wind and were worth seeing although they did keep blowing off and onto us as we sat just below the fenceline.

Another hardy climber, Charles from Yorkshire and another WH user, appeared. He decided he would press on and within a few minutes was back - ice on the path - and neither he nor we were equipped for ice. We shared our coffee and headed back down together.

We got back down safely (although I did slip once or twice to examine terra firma more closely) and as we reached the farm met a crowd of about 20 youngsters (20+) - young compared to me - heading up in trainers, jeans and leather jackets and virtually nothing to keep them warm. As the Grumpy Old Man of our party, I moaned bitterly about the young and how crazy they were, but they'll learn. I just hope it isn't the hard way.
ngm1scot
Mountain Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Beinn Dubh

Postby hills » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Och well, it will always be there, its not worth doing if its not enjoyable, we got caught in thick soft snow on this a few weeks back, seems it can carry a sting in the tail eh...
hills
Mountain Walker

Munros:215   Corbetts:109
Grahams:109   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:157   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Beinn Dubh

Postby ngm1scot » Sun May 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks hills. YOur absolutely right Maybe try this again later in summer as an evening walk: wont get round the horsehoe but the views from the top of the beinn will be great.
ngm1scot
Mountain Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland