walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The sub-zero camping, 4 Munros and a scary whiteout

The sub-zero camping, 4 Munros and a scary whiteout

by Mountainlove » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 12/03/2013

Time taken: 7.2 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The sub-zero camping, 4 Munros and a scary whiteout

Postby Stuart Angus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 pm

Nice.............but brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :lol:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby fipriestley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:19 am

What a fantastic adventure :thumbup: - can say that now that you're safely back :D
It's been a good few years since I did the 'frozen nose' camping but I wouldn't have thought of taking the wee pop up tent out in winter :shock: Well done ML!
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Ibex » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 am

Wow, i'm cold just looking at your pictures. Walking in that and wild camping shows your a brave lass. :clap:

Don't like the sound of that whiteout. You did well not to panic!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby alvason » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:52 am

Awesome! Awesome in every way!
alvason
Ambler

Postby balgonie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:06 am

Fantastic report lay in my comfy bed reading it! I always find the best reports are the ones with a happy ending, a fear overcome and a lesson learnt, camping out in -10 conditions with the many layers and a hot water bottle I don't think artic conditions could of penetrated through that lot :-D
All in all you manage to complete the 4 big pat on the back super report :-D
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby alvason » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:06 am

... scary video!! hard core.
alvason
Ambler

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Bod wrote:Quite an adventure Mountainlove, impressive effort! It's more than 20 years since I camped out in similar conditions and that was with friends, 3 or 4 of us in a Vango force10, Lochnagar Coire and such places...Great atmospheric photos too :wink: :D :clap:

Many thanks Bod...and any of those camping trips planned again? Or is it one of those done it, dont need to do again?

nathan79 wrote:Good to see a report showing conditions not too far south of myself and Morecambe Monkey on the same day. I must start that trip report to show you how we had it. Pretty similiarly white, windy and cold, though neither of us had braved a tent the night before :lol:

I need to keep an eye on your report as well...looking forward to see similar pictures :D

Stuart Angus wrote:Nice.............but brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :lol:

Thanks and yes it was cooooold!!!

fipriestley wrote:What a fantastic adventure :thumbup: - can say that now that you're safely back :D
It's been a good few years since I did the 'frozen nose' camping but I wouldn't have thought of taking the wee pop up tent out in winter :shock: Well done ML!

I am still amazed what my wee tent have been through (including strom gale force winds in Durness (which wasnt fun) but the tent survived it :D Apart from that thank you :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby laconic surf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 pm

About time we heard of some more adventures from you :D
A great trip and fantastic report - glad to see none of slight madness has disappeared over the winter months :lol:
See you up in Torridon - maybe the 100 up there? 8)
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Ibex wrote:Wow, i'm cold just looking at your pictures. Walking in that and wild camping shows your a brave lass. :clap:
Don't like the sound of that whiteout. You did well not to panic!

Thank you...the hills up there are very bad for mobile phone reception...well my orange network failed miserable...so they paniking in the white out was no option...even though I was close :roll: :D

alvason wrote:Awesome! Awesome in every way!

balgonie wrote:Fantastic report lay in my comfy bed reading it! I always find the best reports are the ones with a happy ending, a fear overcome and a lesson learnt, camping out in -10 conditions with the many layers and a hot water bottle I don't think artic conditions could of penetrated through that lot :-D
All in all you manage to complete the 4 big pat on the back super report :-D

Thank you...I agree... learning a new lession is alaways valurable and I enjoyed that one! Specially with a happy ending. Made me understand people better who phone the mountain rescue! Some situations can be very scary!

laconic surf wrote:About time we heard of some more adventures from you :D
A great trip and fantastic report - glad to see none of slight madness has disappeared over the winter months :lol:
See you up in Torridon - maybe the 100 up there? 8)

Lol my last few Munros in Scotland were rather tame I have to admit :wink: was glad myself to have some excitement back in my life!! Looking forward to reach the three digits numbers...Torridon is on for sure! See you there :thumbup:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby ScottishLeaf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:02 pm

Fab report, thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I got taught a lesson on these four, in high winds, thick clag and thumping rain.
Was horrible...... made even worse by the cloud lifting as I got back down the last one :lol:

The best view I had all day were of that ugly "cairn."

ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby scoob999 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Camping in the snow :? Are you mad! :shock: Ooops sorry......of course you are :shock: :lol: :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby malky_c » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:40 pm

Nice one, with some lovely pictures between the white :) . Good to get caught in a good whiteout once in a while - keeps you on your toes (or knees if you end up descending steeply without noticing it initially).

Getting lost seems to be a common theme on these hills - noticed it in other reports and have managed to contour right round a minor summit myself and ended up going back the way I came :roll:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby PeteR » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:57 am

Great report and stunning photos :D Loved the video too. They're the sort of windy conditions I quite enjoy :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:36 am

Great pictures. :D

I've thought this before but you are one tough cookie! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby ballarat » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Mountainlove wrote:
kevsbald wrote:Some beautiful photos there and well done on your extreme wild camp.
But, I would go back to your report and perhaps edit the fact you were consuming a half bottle of wine in a car in case Ayrshire Constabulary review..... :roll:

Many thanks Kev...maybe a stupid question...but since when is one not allowed to drink in a parked car, in the middle of no where...when there is clearly a tent next to it? Maybe a rule I was not aware off (coming across a few of those lately) :? :)

The Rodmiester wrote:Moutainlove, I've DONE IT! so easy when you know how :D , my wife is extremely grateful, it has been cluttering up the spare room since Christmas, and so am I :D

Oh CONGRATULATIONS !!!! Thats fantastic! Glad I was able to point you in the right direction!! :D
regrettably perhaps being under the influence,in the possesion of car keys,and a over enthusiastic polis might not be a good mix,im meither a polis or a barrister its just a sorted projected scenario in my mind totally off topic sorry
ceaser wrote:fantastic report and pictures ML :clap:

Many thanks!!

ChrisW wrote:Fantastic report ML, so exciting during your white out wanderings. I do think you may be marginally tapped in the head to actually 'fancy' camping in minus double figure temps :shock: but each to their own....I will gladly sit in my warm living room reading your exploits and shivering a little at the cold bits :lol: Really enjoyable report as always, I am in awe of your madness :clap:

:lol: had to laugh about your first sentense...it's those ideas who come to mind and not go away again...but I have to say camping in summer (minus midges) wins every time!! :wink: :D
ballarat
Hill Bagger

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland