walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Breezy Beardy Bimble.on 3 at Drumochter

A Breezy Beardy Bimble.on 3 at Drumochter

Postby nathan79 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 14/03/2013

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 18.2 km

Ascent: 1020m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Taking advantage of my usual Tuesday off, I thought I'd join Morecambe Monkey for another jaunt to the hilss, having already joined him along with Gavin99, Bod, Val and Richie up Carn Dearg the Sunday before.

Gael-charn and A'Marconaich were decided on as targets, with Beinn Udlamain squeezed in the middle if time, will and conditions allowed.

Afforded a leisurely start thanks to the lengthening days, I picked up MM in Moulin just before 9:30 and we were suited, booted and on our way just after 10am. Feeling warmer than a couple of days before at this point but my camera said otherwise. Really doesn't seem to like the cold!
Made our way up to the snowline and round on to the shoulder of Gael-charn. Plenty snow underfoot. Some of it nice and soft, some of it unpleasantly slippy ice patches to be crossed carefully.
A snack stop in a sheltered spot before we headed up to the first summit of the day. Some grand views over Ben Alder way.

IMG_0606.JPG
2 of today's destinations

IMG_0607.JPG
MM survey's the day ahead

IMG_0609.JPG
Back down the A9

IMG_0618.JPG
Reflecting on Ben Alder

Onwards up to summit 1. 2 cairns in sight, Ummed and awwed over which was the main summit. Meanwhile the weather decided to close in and it was whiteout number 1. Crivvens! Paid a visit to both cairns and thankfully the snow cloud moved on.

IMG_0627.JPG
The cloud a-cometh

IMG_0628.JPG
Summit?

IMG_0632.JPG
Sun shining through

IMG_0634.JPG
Moments of clarity,

IMG_0635f.jpg
Summit success. 33.3% of today's mission done.

Onward towards the next target with clearer views and a sense of relief.

IMG_0642.JPG
Beinn Udlamain's there somewhere

IMG_0636.JPG
Last stop of the day, A'Mharconaich

Drumochter pano.jpg
panorama

Cut across the shoulder up to the bealach between Beinn Udlamain and A'Mharconaidh to cut out some distance. Icy in parts but some older footsteps gave an easyish path to retread.
Decision time: just do two or slot in the third. It was 3pm, we were both feeling fresh and with not a great deal of extra distance or ascent for Beinn Udlamain we dcided to go for it, views or no views. It was looking bleak for the ascent to number 2.

IMG_0655.JPG
Looking back over MM and to Gael-charn

IMG_0660.JPG
Beinn Udla-where?!

There's a handy line of fenceposts that lead up from the bealach to almost the summit. Very handy in the poor visibility. Some impressive build-up of rime to be seen on them.
IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

Soon enough Beinn Udlamain summit reached, and a fair bit of clarity for it. The one bonus up to this point was that we'd had the wind at our backs, for the rest of the route we'd be either facing into it or side on.

IMG_0661.JPG
Beinn Udlamain summit

Summit 2 of 3 done. Time to make for A'Mharconaich and the car. Largely good solid snow and for the moment the cloud level was staying high enough. A swift descent down and then a fairly gentle trek up towards summit number 3.
IMG_0667.JPG

Surrounded by more cloud, snow and still beinig bettered by the wind it was good to reach A'Mhairconaich's rather unnasuming summit. Number 69 for Morecambe Monkey and number 60 for me.

IMG_0669.JPG
MM hits Munro 69 on image 669. What a coinkydink.

IMG_0670.JPG
60 down, 222 to go.

All that remained now was to get down over what was to to be the steepest part of the day and back to the car. The steep section's fairly short and over before you know it. I'd pondered doing this circuit anti-clockwise if this looked like it would be trouble to come down, but it was fine. Largely good underfoot with some patches of slippy ice to cross but it was quick going and soon down back below the snowline. Things were clearing up as the sun headed towards the horizon but it'd snowing again by the time we got back to the car to de-boot.

IMG_0673.JPG
The car's down there somewhere

IMG_0676.JPG
Well wrapped up for the chilly descent.

IMG_0679.JPG

Almost home and ready to hop ever the level crossing to the car park. One last look at the day's fun as the snow fell again.

IMG_0680.JPG
Back to ground level.

IMG_0681.JPG
The flash going off was an accident but it worked out well

Day done, it was off to Moulin for a pint, grub then home. 4 Munros in a week was good going for me, Morecambe Monkey wasn't quite done with the hills for the week yet.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: A Breezy Beardy Bimble.on 3 at Drumochter

Postby jonny616 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Looks like a grand day. I have the occasional Tuesday of. i'll pm you if i'm heading out 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:49 pm

It was great to get out with you Nathan,had a really good day. The photo's sum up the conditions perfectly,i especially like the last one with the flash reflecting off the falling snow. Love the title too. :D See thee in Torridon in a few weeks time.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Fudgie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:04 pm

I was up there today on Geal Charn &'A'Marconaich and couldn't see a thing. It's good to see what I missed :lol:

Most of my day was spent in stuff like this with it being worse approaching the summit of A'Marconaich:

Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby nathan79 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:38 pm

Fudgie wrote:I was up there today on Geal Charn &'A'Marconaich and couldn't see a thing. It's good to see what I missed :lol:

Most of my day was spent in stuff like this with it being worse approaching the summit of A'Marconaich:

Definitely no views to be had there! Fine fun to be had up Drumochter, definitely not at wetter tmes of the year though from what I've seen! :lol:
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Postby Bod » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:27 pm

Nice one you guys, well done getting out again so quickly. Looking forward to seeing a Carn Dearg report too(hint hint MM) :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:39 pm

Well done Nathan and Pat :clap: :clap:

Love the last photo :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:03 am

Bod wrote:Nice one you guys, well done getting out again so quickly. Looking forward to seeing a Carn Dearg report too(hint hint MM) :wink: :D :D

I'll try & get a report done for Carn Dearg one evening this week. :D
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby nathan79 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:26 am

I'm rather gutted I'm getting into the snowy strolls just as spring arrives. Still I've had. Looking forward to the Carn Dearg report.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:28 am

Some great shots of a fine day in the hills Nathan, love the flash shot of the snow falling at the end there, accidental or not it turned out nicely :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland