walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Christopher Lloyd hairstyle to the tune of Karma Chameleon

Christopher Lloyd hairstyle to the tune of Karma Chameleon

Postby railton22 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 14/03/2013

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mucked up the start and parked at Glenmore Lodge instead of the Visitor Centre. Sloppy navigating on Sarah's part (the shame).

Got to the Visitor Centre (£2 to park all day: very reasonable) and had a look around the centre. Really lovely place with spanky clean loos.

Anyway onto the walk ; we began in the same way as the parking (ie: with a detour). This time it was "path construction" but the detour was minor so no bother. The snow was falling thick and fast and a good three to four inches underfoot.
DSC07654sm.jpg
On the right track after a bit of a hooey with the starting point
However not so much snow falling that we couldn't take in the stunning scenery.

The path up to Meall a Bhuachaille was windy to say the least and on our way up we called in at the Ryvoan bothy. Having a quick flick through the bothy "visitor book" we found a three x A4 pages of some poor chap detailing how his life had fallen apart with the breakdown of his marriage (not your typical marriage breakdown that's for sure). Some wag had written underneath "How to follow 50 shades of gray"
DSC07662sm.jpg
Ryvoan Bothy. There's some interesting reading to be had here.

Back to the walk
DSC07667sm.jpg
On the ascent, fairly snow-free at this point
: the path up the side of the Corbett was a delight of drifting snow, icy snow showers and an incessant force 10 (well, it felt like a force 10).
DSC07686sm.jpg
Lot snowier here. Thigh deep drifts in place off the path....so we sent Alice ahead!
The walker ahead of us turned back but Double Hard Nutters that we are we carried on eventually making it to the large windshelter summit cairn.
DSC07689sm.jpg
Much appreciated wind shelter at the summit cairn
DSC07692sm.jpg
David smiling a frozen rictus grin at the summit cairn

Pretty parky up there but fab views of pointy Bynack More and CairnGorm inbetween snow showers.
DSC07673sm.jpg
Bynack More and Cairn Gorm plus blue coated walker that bailed before reaching the summit.

We walked the entire length of the ridge
DSC07709sm.jpg
Creagan Gorm summit cairn
through to Graiggowrie
DSC07727sm.jpg
Craiggowrie
and enjoyed brilliant views in all directions.
DSC07726sm.jpg
Looking back at Meall a Bhuachaille and Creagan Gorm
DSC07700sm.jpg
Strathspey views
DSC07710sm.jpg
My hands aren't really that big but they sure are toasty in my lovely thermal-toaster gloves. Creagan Gorm summit
On the return to lower ground David removed his hat and amused us all with his "Back to the Future" mad scientist hair
DSC07723sm.jpg
Further along the broad ridge beyond Creagan Gorm. Under David's hat and hood lurks a Back to the Future "Doc Brown" hairdo
DSC07731sm.jpg
Snow across Strathspey as we walk the final ridge
. As I was walking backwards taking the rise out of him, karma bit me on the bottom when I stepped back into an orangey-brown gloopy bog. Right up to the calf.

Last part of the walk was spoiled by David singing "Karma, Karma, Karma Chameleon" as my damp muddied toes slowly went numb.

Back at the nice Visitor Centre I bought a nice bag of Revels as a) a reward for climbing the mountains and b) putting up with a smug Hubs.

Walked by Sarah, David and Alice
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland