walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Dhubh, The 25meter Summit Crawl or get Blown Off!

Creag Dhubh, The 25meter Summit Crawl or get Blown Off!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Creag Dhubh (Glen Spean)

Date walked: 23/03/2013

Time taken: 2.7 hours

Distance: 6.3 km

Ascent: 526m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

From very early on in the week MWIS had suggested that this weekend was going to be pretty awful to say the least with very strong winds forecast for most summits, so it was with some trepidation I started out on the Friday for the Argyll Mountaineering Clubs monthly meet to be held at the 'Aite Cruinnichidh bunkhouse near Roybridge in Glenspean. With my normal route to the A9 already blocked with snow I headed up to Perth via Dundee, before Dundee a BBC traffic message rang out that there was an accident at Drumochter and that both lanes were blocked, I pressed on as I thought by the time I'm there all will be sorted out. Just before Dunkeld an illuminated roadsigh suggested that the accident was beyond my turn off to Dalwhinnie, lucky me, although low cloud was evident and there was slush on the road at Drumochter beyond on the Laggan road there were no problems. Arrived at the hostel in the middle of the power cut, oops! no heating so went for a wee dander around the lovely little 15th century Cille Choirhill Church (Glenbogle Church, Monarch of the Glen) and Churchyard, connections go back to the days of Irish Missionary Cairell to about 600AD.
Met up with the rest of the members in the evening and discussed what was to be on the agenda for the Saturday, with some wishing to stay low level either cycling or walking up Glen Roy, so I decided that as the Graham Creag Dhubh was in walking distance from the hostel I would give it a go. I left the hostel at 0850hrs and walked along the A86 East towards the entrance road on the left marked Cille Choirhill Church and Cementry. It was breezy with light snow blowing through, and I new this was not going to be a great day for photographs.
The attachment 1a.JPG is no longer available
The attachment 1a.JPG is no longer available
1b.JPG
On your way up the roadway look out for these cairns on your right, there is also one on your left
1c.JPG
I don't know what this sign means, do you?
1d.JPG
Looking back to the Church and Churchyard
1e.JPG
To early for a cuppa yet but handy on the way down if only it was warmer and not so windy. I walked through the Churchyard and over the brow of the hill to the bottom of the Churchyard where you can just step over the fence. I then headed across to the back of the 259 hillock shown on OS maps and find an access gate within a barbed wire fence, then I head on towards the end of a row of trees where there is a burn running alonside, cross the burn and start climbing the South West shoulder of Creag Dhubh crossing another small burn in the process. As I climb I find the going incresingly tough as I'm heading towards a headwiond as I'm climbing, this and the snow balling under my feet is getting increasinly tiring.
3.JPG
Looking back toward the church and another Graham in the distance Cnap Cruinn where I would go in the afternoon for a wander with the rest of the club exploring the remains of the dismantled tramway for the aluminium works at about 250m up the North face.
4.JPG
By now I'm just heading on stopping for breath and to put the goggles on as it's getting very cold and also the wind is getting much stronger
5.JPG
Full kit on to battle on against the strenghthening wind, by now its getting quite difficult to walk straight, a bit like on scree two steps forward one step back, wish I had not lost all these extra pound now!
6.JPG
I soon come and have a bit of a rest behind this boulder, I always new they would be handy for a day such as this.
7.JPG
Not long and I soon see a large tall slender trig point in the distance, The wind is so strong now I cannot stand up, sheltering and lying down on the ground I take this photograph of the cairn, this will be the last photograph I take until I get much further down. The gusts now have increased even more and I'm thinking I'm about to loose my goggles, slowly I crawl along the summit ridge about 25m but feels like 100m until I finally get to the cairn. I am finding hard to even turn around in case I'm whipped of my feet onto the summit rocks. A bit scary, YES glad to get the hell out of there YES! I cannot complain there were all the warnings, but you have to give it a try don't you? After a good few stumbles with a great deal of wind assistance going down I eventually decide to take another photograph
8.JPG
Graham across the road Cnap Cruinn 742m
9.JPG
Another one of the wee Church, and I have not touched up the evergreen tree in the churchyard, but it looks like I have, behind is the little Graham I have just conquered for a blue balloon, by far the toughest Graham I have climbed, will remember it for a long time.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Bunkhouse sign at top of driveway
Attachments
10.JPG
A view down Glenspean looking East
1a.JPG
Leave the bunkhouse and walk up the driveway to the A86 road, This is a cracking bunkhouse and for only £15.00 a night excellent value, good accommodation and well looked after by Nicola a very friendly host.
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Re: Creag Dhubh, The 25meter Summit Crawl or get Blown Off!

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Must admit I've never had to crawl to a summit before although I was nearly blown off Broad Cairn last winter and that was scary :shock: :shock: :shock:

Having read your report Rod, I'm glad I was snowed in for the weekend :lol: :lol:

In better conditions it does look like a good hill though.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:112   Corbetts:63
Grahams:18   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:24   

Postby Tomsie » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Well done on getting last 25m, was in same position myself on the Pap few days before waiting to get airbourne :crazy:
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:121   Corbetts:62
Grahams:38   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:08 pm

Good effort Rod. I had planned to do this walk on Saturday but decided not to travel when somone told me the A9 had been shut at the snow gates north of Blair Atholl on the Friday night. :?
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:13 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Must admit I've never had to crawl to a summit before although I was nearly blown off Broad Cairn last winter and that was scary :shock: :shock: :shock:

Having read your report Rod, I'm glad I was snowed in for the weekend :lol: :lol:

In better conditions it does look like a good hill though.

I made a bit of a pig with the report photographs, never mind I'm off the hill to tell the tale at least! yes it was scary! :crazy: Gordie, it doesn't look like your getting your car out for a while yet! :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Tomsie wrote:Well done on getting last 25m, was in same position myself on the Pap few days before waiting to get airbourne :crazy:

Thanks Tomsie, it's not a nice feeling, out of control, is it :crazy: At least we are both back safe and well :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good effort Rod. I had planned to do this walk on Saturday but decided not to travel when somone told me the A9 had been shut at the snow gates north of Blair Atholl on the Friday night. :?

What are the chances of you and I meeting up by chance again so soon, that would have been something, needless to say there was no sign of anybody else. Cracking bunkhouse though, pity about the weather, I was hoping to do something en route on the Friday and something again today, but I did not feel like another buffeting experience :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby soapy27 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 pm

Nice one Rod . that wind sounds insane good effort making it to the summit :clap:
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:165
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:51   
Islands:10

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 am

soapy27 wrote:Nice one Rod . that wind sounds insane good effort making it to the summit :clap:

Ta there soapy, that was easily the hardest Graham Iv'e climbed, by a long way. Glad I didn't attempt anything any higher :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:51 am

Hi Rod, crawling to the summit mad :) nice wee report all the same.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Grahams:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:52 pm

quoman wrote:Hi Rod, crawling to the summit mad :) nice wee report all the same.

Hi quoman, I'm well pleased I made it, although with hindsight it was a wee bit :crazy: Glad to read your getting out and about though, when's the next hill going to be though? for you and me!!! :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland