walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Chockstone Archway instead of threading needles.....

A Chockstone Archway instead of threading needles.....

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:04 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 24/03/2013

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Chockstone Gully – The Cobbler

Having only done a few routes this winter, we were keen to make the most of the latest cold snap!! Initially talk had been of heading up Crowberry Gully or even taking the kayaks on the water further north. However the storm force winds leading up to today put paid to that idea .
WHbest panorama (4200x1419).jpg
The Cobbler!!!!

So the decision was to head up The Cobbler to look at some possible routes. I initially thought any route with Gully in the title would be out due to the amount of fresh snow and also re distributed snow!! How wrong I was!! Maclays was discussed but quickly reclined as the winds were ferocious – all buttress/ridge routes would be difficult in this wind (gusts t 80mph).

The walk from the car park to the Narnain boulders was uneventful with the path being protected from the wind and the snow was packed down well by traffic on the Saturday. Beyond the boulders the wind picked up and you could see the spindrift shifting the snow about. We continued on a little before leaving the path and heading for the start of chockstone gully. I must admit that at this point my optimism for getting the gully in a suitable condition were low as the snow on the approach was a little cruddy!

However on reaching the base of the gully the snow seemed to firm up. We simul climbed up and the snow go better and better with lots of old compact snow coming through - great for the axe and crampons. A Grade II winter route , but a very atmospheric one – I thought it was fantastic. We set up a belay point for the last pitch as we were not too sure what the storm had in store for us when we exited the gully!!There were two options at the top – either a less steep squeeze through a final hole or a steeper section to the right to climb out of. The steep pull to the right was chosen which was great as the snow was perfect taking axe placements straight off. A great way to finish the route. Highly recommend this wee climb!!

We were then going to look at Great Gully but decided against it as the winds were bad enough at the base of it and we did not fancy going over the North peak in 80mph winds!! I had also harboured plans of threading the needle and summiting the Cobbler again, however as for the last reason this was decided against. So we headed back home – earning some well deserved brownie points for being home before 16.00…….
walkhighland sun.jpg
Sun breaking through over South Peak

walkhighlandsnorth peak (3000x2157).jpg
Rimmed up North Peak

walkhighlands (3000x1688).jpg
through the cockstone arch to the waiting storm.....

north peak two.jpg
panorama of peaks

WH COBBLES.jpg
COBBLING
wilkiemurray

Re: A Chockstone Archway instead of threading needles.....

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Another fine TR wilkiemurry,always good to watch your videos,thanks again.
gammy leg walker
Walker

Munros:232   Corbetts:7
Grahams:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: A Chockstone Archway instead of threading needles.....

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks gammy - a bit different this one as most footage from helmet cam! A cracking day out though - really hoping my back recovers to get out before Tuesday ! Easter weather looks awesome:(
wilkiemurray

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland