walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A short week of Munros

A short week of Munros

Postby CharlesT » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:46 pm

Date walked: 27/03/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

More as an aid to those going out this weekend than walk reports:
Sun 24th Beinn Bhuidhe - Lot of deep soft snow in upper corrie and getting onto the ridge was a slog in soft snow. Ridge icy and high winds made me detour and approach from leeward. Should be ok now winds have dropped. Crampons advisable.

Mon 25th Beinn Challum - Deepish soft snow from low level but srtaightforward and completed without need of crampons. Very windy and the double top is a pain in the rear.

Tue 26th Beinn Dubhcraigh and Ben Oss -Boggy approach partially frozen but still needed care in places. Soft snow in the corrie. Ridge to Dubhcraigh icy higher up. Descent towards Ben Oss tricky in variable snow conditions and ascent of Ben Oss requires crampons. Alow plenty of time.

Wed 27th Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas - Again lots of soft snow. Went via SC first. Snow conditions on ascent were a pain and I used crampons as security on the steep descent towards MG -they were a must on the climb from the bealach and needed on the final approach to MG. Descent across the moor from MG took ages. Allow lots of time for this pair.

Tomorrow I'm off to have a go at Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin, then back to Hampshire and a rest!

Ben Vorlich only I'm afraid, bad deep snow lower down but in great condition higher up. Crampons and axe use for final 200 m of North ridge. Stuc a'Chroin a hill too far and plastered in snow. Another day for that. Then an uneventful 470 mile drive home. Happy days!
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland