walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Coomb, a stark contrast.

White Coomb, a stark contrast.

Postby meangarry » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:13 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: White Coomb

Donalds included on this walk: White Coomb

Date walked: 28/03/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A trudge up to the frozen loch skeen and then on to white coomb. Helped a goat give birth to a dead kid, I was too late to save it. Image
A harsh winter scene. by meangarry, on Flickr :( Leaving the sorry scene of the nanny goat and her lifeless kid to turn a corner and see the beautiful frozen loch was an incredible contrast.Image
Loch Skeen by meangarry, on Flickr It was an emotional moment. Hard going in the drifts.Image
My tracks. by meangarry, on Flickr Hard to avoid the drifts in places.Image
Loch Skeen and the moraines. by meangarry, on Flickr
Lunch shelter. by meangarry, on Flickr Eventually made it to the summit after marching along the ridge punching through the snow with every tiring step.Image
Croft Head and The Solway by meangarry, on Flickr
Summit and my bag by meangarry, on Flickr The way down was alot easier in the soft snow. Almost scree running with a few arrests thrown in for practice. Back at the car park I chatted to a guy who was heading up to the loch with the intention of spending the night in a snow hole. Nutter. :crazy: :lol:Image
Frozen grey mares tail. by meangarry, on Flickr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

meangarry

Munros:27   Corbetts:17
Grahams:13   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:23   

Re: White Coomb, a stark contrast.

Postby gmr82 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Thanks meangarry, picked up you reply from the other forum. How deep is the snow on average, excluding drifts? Think I'm going to shelf my plans then, had looked at reworking it from the NT car park too, but either way it was going to be around 21km for the 5 Donalds in the area. The way its looking now I might only be able to get Lochcraig Head and White Coomb. Its a long drive to come for only 2 Donalds (1 of which I've already climbed, admittedly the other a Corbett), whereas if spring ever arrives I could do all five in one go (2 above, Molls Cleuch, Garelet, Erie) from Talla and save the petrol. Will have to see, the forecast tomorrow couple with a frozen Loch Skeen standing on the top of Lochcraig Head is very tempting!

Where was the goat giving birth? What a shame, lovely pic of the Loch though
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Grahams:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Re: White Coomb, a stark contrast.

Postby meangarry » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 pm

Sorry pal, been busy working and drinking all weekend! The snow was about 8-10 inches in most places but varying wildly in the drifts. I could walk over packed snow from time to time but in the deeper bits it was a struggle. Looking up at the hills today it looks as though all eastern and southern slopes have melted greatly. The goat was on the path just before the first view of the loch.
meangarry

Munros:27   Corbetts:17
Grahams:13   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland