walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wrapping up Kintail in the Sunshine

Wrapping up Kintail in the Sunshine

Postby andrewdoggett » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Ghlas-bheinn, Beinn Fhada

Date walked: 30/03/2013

Time taken: 5.95 hours

Distance: 22.4 km

Ascent: 1723m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm running out of hills... No the hills will always be there, but I'm looking forward to finishing this great journey now; it feels within touching distance... The forecast was good so it was off to Kintail to finish off Beinn Fhada and A' Ghlas-Bheinn... The drive from Bridge of Allan was brisk and beautiful in the moonlight and later the rising sun... And in no time I was in Glenshiel...

Kintail 001.jpg
The South Glenshiel Ridge from near Cluanie Inn...

The walk in is straightforward... Nothing steep and the scenry eventually opens out...

Kintail 002.jpg
Views on the Ascent of Beinn Fhada...

There's nothing steep on the ascent - where it is steep the stalkers path zig zags and makes life comfortable... It's looking like a great day to be out, with blue skies and crisp snow...

Kintail 003.jpg
The Corrie of Beinn Fhada...

Memories of Mullardoch come flashing back with the views and our circuit of the twelve munros in a day last May... That was something... :) Monty you'll know this as Affric... :lol: :lol:

Kintail 004.jpg
I think Mullardoch is in the somewhere... Shiver...

The views get better with hieght all the way to the summit ridge of Bheinn Fhada... The snow is firm and over ice in places so I need to be cautious but I don't bother with crampons; it's not steep...

Kintail 005.jpg
Views from summit plateau of Beinn Fhada...

And in a whisper over two hours I'm at the summit; I've not stopped on the ascent save for a couple of quick snaps...

Kintail 006.jpg
The Summit of Bheinn Fhada...

A' Ghlas Bheinn had been in cloud on the way up but it's on show now basking in the sunshine... And from here, it looks small and not intimidating...

Kintail 007.jpg
Looking towards the Summit of A' Ghlas-Bheinn from Beinn Fhada...

The Sisters of Kintail are looking gorgeous to the West...

Kintail 008.jpg
The Sisters of Kintail from Beinn Fhada...

Kintail 009.jpg
The Summit of Beinn Fhada and the Sisters of Kintail...

I opt to descend via the same path to the Glen that separates Beinn Fhada from A' Ghlas-Bheinn - I'm not fancying the steep descent off Meall a' Bhealaich in these conditions...

Kintail 010.jpg
Scenery...

I stop fror lunch at the Bealach an Sgairne... A spot of ham and a quick drink and then it's time to tackle the steep slops of A' Ghlas-Bheinn...

Kintail 011.jpg
Lunchtime View from the Beallach...

Kintail 012.jpg
The Mountains of Kintail...

The views behind open up with height and the view back to Beinn Fhada is looking good... Time to test the panoramic feature on the iPhone...

Kintail 013.jpg
Panoramic looking back toward Beinn Fhada from the slopes of A' Ghlas-Bheinn

It's a 400 metre pull up to the summit; the first 250 metres steep but then it eases and undulates a little... Nothing uncomfortable though and the views are gorgeous... I can see the whole Cuilling Ridge on Skye :)

Kintail 014.jpg
Me on the Summit of A' Ghlas-Bheinn

Kintail 015.jpg
The Summit of A' Ghlas-Bheinn

Kintail 016.jpg
The Summit of A' Ghlas-Bheinn

The descent is straightforward... All in all, a magic day finishing off Kintail... I'm back in the Bridge of Allan by 16:30... And now there's just four left...

The stats - a whisper under the six hours...

2013 - 03 -30 - Beinn Fhada.jpg
The Stats...

And the route... Opted for a westerly descent from A' Ghlas-Bheinn via A' Mhuic - there's nothing too steep.

2013 - 03 -30 - Beinn Fhada.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Wrapping up Kintail in the Sunshine

Postby Lenore » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:04 pm

What a day!!! Which hill are you saving for last? Not long now...
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Nice report and great pictures - good choice on route choice to second Munro - we went up " the other way" -would not recommend as a descent in good conditions - never mind in snow:) :crazy:

Good luck on final four :clap:
wilkiemurray

Postby monty » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:51 pm

Nice one Mr D. Your nearly at the finish line.......That's the finish line I crossed 6 months ago :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking apart what date are you hoping to finish??
monty

Postby mrssanta » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:58 pm

wow what brilliant views. Which one are you finishing on?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby jonny616 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Looking forward to these two. great photos. 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:42 am

Hi, we did A'Ghlass Bhein on Good Friday - it was very windy, but these views...
Maybe I'm more cautious about routes, but to my taste, the western face was a bit tricky in snow. We tried descending along the ridge, using rocks sticking out of the snow, but got fed up with it, put crampons on and shuffled down snow-filled gully :lol:
I guess in summer conditions it would be much easier.

May the weather gods be with you on your final Munros :D :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland