walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben lomond

Ben lomond

Postby joekell » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 28/03/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What can I say prob the last Ben I would have chose to walk (since I had summited it 5 times previously in last two years). I was considering ben lawers for a bit of winter skills practice, but due to very considerately given reports of access problems and severe conditions from WH members on forum I opted for Lomond telling myself that I would get up early and make the sunrise. :roll:
8 am I fell out the door leaving Viewpark behind to join the M8 during rush hour thinking what I might have forgot rushing through my Head !
1 hour 15 min later this was my view Scotlands great!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSCF2766.JPG
view of loch and vorlich taken later

of we go, big prob of the day were toilets were shut if we are paying £3 for parking open the toilets cheers rant over , :(
DSCF2720.JPG
snowline was higher than expected as the loch opened up

DSCF2721.JPG
mwis w/rep stated clear skys and 80% clear summits , not looking good

On we go having a bit of fun with crampons fittings which I had perfected night before but taking my time and using what was turning out to be a great day to hone some winter skills cant beat it .
DSCF2739.JPG
Suddenly everything looks great from summit and I realise why I walk mountains stunning

some more pics then home .
DSCF2741.JPG

DSCF2749.JPG
DSCF2756.JPG
DSCF2764.JPG
great place for tea

tried out my crampons worked my axe arrest stunning views quiet walk with helpfull pleasant walkers (not to much) cool day glad I went
Attachments
DSCF2774.JPG
good view of the loch before we go
DSCF2731.JPG
summit looking better now /feeling a bit foolish with ice axe and crampons on!!!!!!!!!!!!
joekell
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:8

Re: Ben lomond

Postby mrssanta » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:55 pm

nice one Joe, great how the views appeared
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby joekell » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:52 pm

mrssanta wrote:nice one Joe, great how the views appeared

thanx mrssanta hope you are enjoying the Hills
joekell
Stravaiging

Munros:46   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:8

Postby GillC » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:01 pm

Smashing,,got some lovely views of the Ben from Glen Loin yesterday. did Lomond in heavy snow a couple of years ago,,fantastic. G :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby ericl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:33 am

Lovely report and pics.

Plan to have a walk next Sunday/2nd Mar, all the way from Hong Kong... My first time, and hope to get some advice from experts here.

1) what is the lowest temp. like as i know the temp. up there is much lower?
2) will i need to walk on snow and if my normal walking boots (salomon) would work fine? I wear this boot while walking up hills of similar heights in Hong Kong.
3) what is the earliest time i could start? i plan to start at 6am...so that i could come back for other activities. Will it be completely dark that make it not possible ? if it is the case, what is the earliest time then?

thanks a lot for your help...
Eric
ericl
Munro compleatist

Postby BigT » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:53 am

you should maybe post this in the planned trips section of the forum.

But in answer to your questions...

1. Ben Lomond tourist path is quite exposed to the weather from 500m onward, I've found it cold the two times i went up since January. Wind chill was below zero both days, expect 3 or 4 C at ground level.
2. There is 3 feet of snow on the hill as of last weekend, the snowline was 250m, which is really low. the snow was soft until 600m then packed down hard above that. It was winter boots and crampon stuff.
3. 2nd March >> Sunrise: 07:06:05. You should be able to set of about 06.15 with enough twilight to safely follow the tourist path.
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby ericl » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:12 pm

BigT wrote:you should maybe post this in the planned trips section of the forum.

But in answer to your questions...

1. Ben Lomond tourist path is quite exposed to the weather from 500m onward, I've found it cold the two times i went up since January. Wind chill was below zero both days, expect 3 or 4 C at ground level.
2. There is 3 feet of snow on the hill as of last weekend, the snowline was 250m, which is really low. the snow was soft until 600m then packed down hard above that. It was winter boots and crampon stuff.
3. 2nd March >> Sunrise: 07:06:05. You should be able to set of about 06.15 with enough twilight to safely follow the tourist path.

Thanks BigT for your reply.

1...i will keep up with warm clothes and water-proof stuff and hope i will not be freezed ..glad that i practice running around 2C nowadays.
2...ops. so , i have only the normal hiking boots of salomon. Do i need to equip with a crampon, which i do not have?
3... now, ihave set the starting time at 730. so , plenty of daylight to light up my first munro!!
ericl
Munro compleatist

Postby GueVargas » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 pm

Fantastic pics brother! I did Ben Lomond at the beginning of the year and it didn't have that much snow.
GueVargas
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland