walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Very hard ascent in snow yet massively satisfying

Very hard ascent in snow yet massively satisfying

Postby nisbetag » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:08 am

Date walked: 02/04/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just finished my 7 hour round trip of Ben more. There is an incredible amount of snow all the way up and down, make sure to have crampons and axe as ice sheets are frequent. Views from the top are unbelievable. Lucky I chose a clear day. Wins chill was around -15 according to forecast. Views from the top are fantastic however getting there in the snow takes up the majority of the hike. Rocky and near 45 degree slopes at points. Highly recommend this for as a wintery challenge. Photos below
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
From benmore lodges
image.jpg
View from 400m alt
image.jpg
Heading down 2
image.jpg
Heading down
image.jpg
Great view
image.jpg
Extended route
image.jpg
View from top
image.jpg
Summit covered
image.jpg
Crampons definitely needed
image.jpg
image.jpg
Deep snow halfway up already
image.jpg
From the bottom. Appx 11am
nisbetag
Stravaiging

Munros:226   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland