walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Uamh Bheag

Uamh Bheag

Postby rob munbett » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 am

Fionas included on this walk: Uamh Bheag

Donalds included on this walk: Uamh Bheag

Date walked: 31/03/2013

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Easter Sunday - the clocks have gone forward - it's cold and crisp. Time for an early drive up Glen Artney to have a walk up Uamh Bheag. On arrival, the car park was empty so geared up quickly and set off along the road to reach the bridge over the Water of Ruchill. Climbed a gate and strolled along the SE bank of the river on quite a reasonable track until reaching the Allt Ollach which was fairly easy to cross.
P1010415.JPG
Am Beannan from the Water of Ruchill
The cone of Am Beannan loomed ahead, looking steep and snow covered - interesting, I thought. I plodded up through quite deep soft snow and long tussocky grass to reach the steeper section of the ridge.
P1010424.JPG
The snowy tussocks and the ridge ahead
On the left was a rocky section glistening with ice, on the right, steep fairly hard (at times very hard) snow - so great fun to be had! Once over the top of Am Beannan, I thought it would be easier on hard snow - but not at all - it was more of an up-to-the-knee soft snow plod over to Meall Clachach and the cairn.
P1010429.JPG
On the summit plateau
P1010431.JPG
Looking over to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a' Chroin
P1010428.JPG
Looking back to Am Beannan
I did intend making a circuit but the going was very draining and my knee was beginning to ache (awaiting a surgery date as I write this!) so it was back down to the car by the route of ascent, which was 'interesting' down the steep slope of Am Beannan.
P1010433_edited-1.jpg
Looking up the snowy ridge of Am Beannan
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Uamh Bheag

Postby hills » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Ach where's the photo of Bart? Everytime I see Uamh Beag mentioned, I hope to see that smiling face. But nice report, on a nice hill. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland