walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WINTER ATTEMPT TO THE TARMACHAN RIDGE 2

WINTER ATTEMPT TO THE TARMACHAN RIDGE 2

Postby blueyed » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 31/03/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

just a short report from my most recent walk - the tarmachan ridge.
brilliant morning, by the time we arrived to the tarmachan/lawers car park was almost full.

maybe it's worth mentioning that there is a new car park nowadays. just couple of years ago when i visited both lawers and tarmachan, there were 2 separate parking areas (not to mention that years before there even was a visitor centre, long gone now and i feel antient remembering it!) anyway, there is only one car park now, good sized. from the car park there is a direct path to ben lawers, as for meall nan tarmachan you'll need to take a VERY MUDDY path leading up to the stony road which originally started at the old tarmachan car park.
paths are marked, so no problem here.

from the stony road we took a path just at the chunky pole marking the beginning of ascent to meall nan tarmachan. soon all mud and bog disappeared under thick layer of frozen snow.

from the car park towards lawer's group

especially to beinn ghlas

on this sunny and windy day we had a chance to see halo.. and discover some new planets (oh darn, it's just dust on my lens and mirror!)

some more nice views towards meall corranaich

and meall garbh

in the meantime the weather changed and we had to wrap up properly

finally- ascent to meall nan tarmachan. that was a bit of a challenge for me, crampons came in handy

some snow here and there

this time, again, we didnt stop for a minute on the summit of meall nan tarmachan. just as the last time (few summers ago) it was soooo windy! it just blew me away towards meall garbh

ridge itself proved easy even in winter conditions, we arrived to the foot of meall garbh in no time

the thing was that i couldnt see a thing :) light grey sky mixed nicely with white hills and sometimes i actually struggled to see shape of terrain before me

final ascent to meall garbh

we had to change our original plan and went back down from meall garbh summit, started descent via the small south ridge, and back to the rocky road.

more pics at http://around-scotland.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-tarmachan-ridge-2-winter.html

enjoy!
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland