walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Druim Seileach, 840m point on Gleouraich south west ridge

Druim Seileach, 840m point on Gleouraich south west ridge

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:27 pm

Route description: Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 31/03/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 660m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Felt a bit under the weather but wanted to get a walk in in the fine conditions we have just now so tried to think of some easy possibilities. I finally settled on Gleouraich, remembering how good the path up is. As I headed down the glen though I started to think about how slow I might be if there was hard or soft snow low down. As it turns out, the snow line was at about 700m so I only had a short bit of winter walking to do to get to my eventual end point of the 840m mark and I managed that without crampons.
I briefly considered continuing on to Gleouraich but was happy to admire the view from that 840m point. The path up is almost a work of art with some very aesthetically pleasing curves and viewpoints and so well made that you don't have to pay too much attention to where you place your feet.
The view south takes in Ben Nevis and to the north you can see the south Glen Shiel ridge but it is the view west down Loch Quoich and over to Sgurr na Ciche and Knoydart that will draw your eye.
The south west ridge of Gleouraich provides a tremendous viewing platform for most of its length, there being quite a precipitous west flank yielding vertigo inducing views of the loch below. Not really captured in my photos but does show up well in the video clip.
I looked across to a couple of figures on the summit but decided that I would not enjoy any sort of demanding continuation what with having a cold and so contented myself with taking in the views. Up to the 400m level I'd been sweating but thereafter I seemed to hit the level where the wind was blowing about and there was a fair old drop in temperature from then on.
DSCN0061.JPG
looking south west

DSCN0078.JPG
nice path but is it art -I think it is
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland