walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil

Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil

Postby David Lyall » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 01/04/2013

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15.75 km

Ascent: 1220m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Gary and I set of from Alexandria at 7.30 so by 8.30 we were crossing the bridge over the river Dochart on the driveway up to Auchessan.
Meall Glas 037.jpg
the two hill in the back ground coverd in snow Meall Glas to the left.

We followed the well described rout in Walkhighlands. The weather was cold but dry so we were hoping for firm ground and snow and none of the usual mud. The walk up the burn was made more interesting the higher we got as it slowly froze over and looked very picturesque.
Meall Glas 004.jpg
Allt Riobain looking cold

We got to the dam and had a cuppa before heading over the moor and up the front of Sgiath Chuil. There was plenty snow by now and as it got steeper I really started to struggle, the extra effort to get through the snow and the steepness had my muscles screaming for me to stop.
Meall Glas 006.jpg
heading up Sgiath Chuil

Luckily Gary was breaking a trail and we eventually got to the top very strong freezing wind meant we did not stay long to admire the view.
Meall Glas 008.jpg
Gary at the top of Sgiath Chuil

Meall Glas 010.jpg
first Munro for months was hard work

We headed west for some shelter and our second Munro of the day. We bum slid down a bit before we came across some very hard icy snow and got the crampons on. The going then became softer and the decent was a joy taking long strides through the soft snow we were soon at the Lairig a Churain and had another bite to eat. I took my crampons of at this point and we headed up Beinn Cheathaich the going was soft most of the way but there was one section where it would have been better to have my crampons on,
Meall Glas 014.jpg
Trig point on top of Beinn Cheathaich looking good in its winter outfit

Meall Glas 018.jpg
Gary leads the way up Meall Glas

Meall Glas 022.jpg
2nd Munro hard work done

still we got to the top safely and headed over to Meall Glas. By now the sun was shining but the wind in places kept it very cool. We had a bit more time on the top to take in the view all round,
Meall Glas 025.jpg
Me at the top of Meall Glas in the sunshine

Ben More was never out of site but all round views were terrific. The going down hill was again made easier by the soft snow and crossing the broken moor was ok with mostly firm ground we gat back to the car by 4.30 and headed home with a stop of at the Drovers Inn for a coffee for me and a pint of Guinness and a couple of free chicken nuggets for Gary
Meall Glas 039.jpg
nearly back at the car, and a last look back at Sgiath Chuil covered in snow
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland