walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pentlands Circuit

Pentlands Circuit

Postby clivew » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 pm

Date walked: 30/03/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 830m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another trip up into the Pentlands; this is about as far as I wanted to travel this weekend as there is still plenty of snow around and I knew the roads North would be busy. The good thing about the Pentlands is there are so many different routes to choose from, routes of varying lengths and heights to suit your time and fitness. I parked up at the the car park near Harlaw Reservoir and was walking by 08.15, the weather was a bit of a surprise as there was more fresh snow and it was freezing (for a change). Choose a different route this time and walked across the fields in the direction of Glencorse Reservoir. The snow was still falling but nothing too serious, the plus side was the cold weather was keeping the expected Easter crowds at Bay. Walked for a couple of K until reaching the road at Glencorse where I turned right along to Loganlea Reservoir; had a treat and stopped off at the fishermans booking office for a cuppa and a chat with the folks who rent out the boats. After my break walked to the cottage at the far end of the reservoir and then headed up the path towards the summit of Scald Law and eventually over the Kips and down the path at the far end of the ridge. The snow was amazing along the ridge, must have been 10 foot of it in places, I think there will be snow up here for months unless we have a sudden heat wave. Once down off the ridge I followed the path leading across to Hare Hill and on down to the Logan Burn before picking up the path back to Harlaw. A very enjoyable walk even if the deep snow made parts of it hard going.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland