walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Alligin at Easter

Beinn Alligin at Easter

Postby madprof » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Route description: Beinn Alligin

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Date walked: 30/03/2013

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1370m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first ever walk report, and it was such an awesome walk I just can't avoid putting it up any longer.

I was in Torridon over Easter with a couple of very experienced mountaineers and Beinn Alligin was one of the chosen walks.

Staying at the SYHA meant a very short drive up to the car park and we quickly got going. The weather was terrific - I've rarely had more sun and I cannot remember clearer conditions than those that day.

With the tops of the hills still very much snow-covered it was feeling a little alpine.

Looking up at the ridge where we were heading:

After an uneventful trudge up to the "horns of Alligin" we donned our crampons and got out the axes as it felt right - they would give us extra options if we needed them. Turns out it was the right decision. We met someone who works at an outdoor centre in Aviemore and she was significantly quicker than we were, although she did avoid all the horns and shot off up to the Munro ahead of us!

I was regretting forgetting my shades with the sun reflecting in the snow.

We came to one part of the ridge we were not sure how to get down so we took a detour around:

Looking back on the first "horn" of Alligin it became clear that we were in for a treat:

Having not had much scrambling experience in winter this was quite fun and a bit of a challenge. It was nothing compared to Liathach the following day but enough of one to put a smile on our faces:

When we got up to the Munro it was stunning. The view was the best I've ever seen. Beinn Dearg looked pretty mighty behind the ridge:

Liathach was looking pretty tasty and we had designs on that one the following day:

We carried on up to the second Munro and I had a good look out to sea. The hills in the background are the Outer Hebrides about 45 miles away, and you can see the end of Skye on the left. Rona was a bit out of shot:

We passed the scene of an ancient rock fall, which now has nice photgenic properties:

I then went a bit mad with my panorama shots. This one shows Sgurr Mor on Beinn Alligin, with Beinn Dearg, Beinn Eighe and Liathach going from left to right:

...and then headed back down to the car.

Someone had obviously been here before us as they slid down here:

It felt awful coming off the mountain as I wanted to stay up there forever just wallowing in the views. After the previous day on Slioch had seen only broken sun, this was the Real Deal. Top area, top conditions, top mountain.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Alligin at Easter

Postby litljortindan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:57 pm

A good report on a great mountain. I think you've conveyed that first visit feeling very well and also the reluctance to leave -I'm sure lots of folk will identify with. Great photos in there too.
I think Ben Alligin is a very special hill.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby dawnfoth » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:16 pm

Looks fabulous! Well done! It looks particularly hairy in places :shock: Cracking weather for it. :D

I was out on the Aonachs yesterday and the descent route I took was horrendously steep, so much so that I had wished I had gone back up Aonach Beag and down the way I went up. But once committed, that was me. On my way down, there was just one set of footprints and a similar looking bum-slide print. I wondered how anyone could have been so daft as it was really dangerous with a small crag at the bottom and boulders everywhere. When I reached the bottom, with huge relief, I realised that the bum-slide print had indeed been a large boulder that slid down, then had rolled some distance from the bottom of the crag. :roll:

Look forward to hearing about your next adventure :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby hills » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:38 pm

What a walk, and what a fine report...
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby Tomsie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Stunning hill only got views on the horns, but really enjoyed it, that ancient rock fall is something else.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby Striding_out » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Great photos & a great first report. Beinn Alligin was my first (and only) munro in Torridon & we were lucky enough to have a stunningly clear summers day with an eagle passing close by just as we approached the second top. I've always said I'd never go up there again...simply because those memories are so special I don't want anything to muddle them up with! Having seen these pics though I might be tempted to try a winter climb next year!

Nick said you had similar conditions for Liathach so I'm looking forward to seeing you shots from then....it's fair to say he might be an experienced mountaineer, but his photography skills are somewhat lacking ;-)
Striding_out

Munros:109   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:30

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:08 pm

Some great photos :D :clap: Looks like yopu had a great day out :D

Really can't wait to get to grips with this hill.......hopefully soon :D I just hope I get the weather for it :?
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland