walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ladhar Bheinn from Achanalt (9 cold days)

Ladhar Bheinn from Achanalt (9 cold days)

by Klaasloopt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhada, Beinn Sgritheall, Càrn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Ladhar Bheinn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn na Caillich, Beinn na h-Eaglaise, Beinn nan Caorach, Meallan nan Uan, Sgòrr na Diollaid, Sgùrr a' Mhuilinn

Date walked: 21/03/2013

Time taken: 60 hours

Distance: 182 km

Ascent: 10674m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Ladhar Bheinn from Achanalt (9 cold days)

Postby Klaasloopt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Thank you, good to hear you like it. I tremendously enjoyed the walk, that's for sure.

mountainstar wrote: but theres a big BUT, I'm not that hard!!!

There's a misunderstanding, I do not see myself as 'hard' or fit at all. I think persistence or patience describe me better, as in "if I keep quietly moving forward, that summit will be mine eventually".

weaselmaster wrote:And what a choice of book to listen to when walking - I love macfarlane's writing.

We have a lot in common, weaselmaster. Except the beard of course ;-)
I liked your '(lack of) adventure on An Stuc': to want a hill, but still be sane.

rockhopper wrote:must've taken a lot of planning

The in- and outbound journeys took planning, and I double check shops. For the compilation of the daily route I count on experience, which falls short sometimes, and flexibility on the spot. Giving up on a hill is hard, since it might take many years before I return to a hill. :(

malky_c wrote:Also the weather out west looks better

Several friends saw the souther and eastern snow-calamities on TV and texted me about it. I was ignorant but surely lucky this time round.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Fabulous! I love your pictures especially the icy ones!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby litljortindan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:20 pm

Hmm, a long walk! I enjoyed reading that. Even, or because of, the bleak bits.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 am

Wonderful stuff, words like epic etc does not do it justice. Excellent report and photographs and a re-read is a must :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby gaffr » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:14 am

It is always interesting to read about the adventures of the flying dutchman :) You have a good, and growing, collection of journeys made in Scotland as can been seen by the submissions to WH. There is something in them of the journeys made by the early travellers around the highlands and of the trips made by JH and SC and several others whose trips we read about in the magazines of the time. Do you think that would stand up to a publishing in book form? and maybe would reach a wider audience?
Many thanks.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:00 am

Another epic K....I agree with all the praise, and more.
Great report, pics and, an inspiration for all.

- including your favourite fresh eggs which, I seem to remember (Loch Lyon epic?), you manage to find wherever you go! :D
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Bonzo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:39 am

What a great read and some stunning photos.

Superb!
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby litljortindan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:25 pm

I just remembered what I meant to write last night but forgot. It is a very interstitial report, thinking of Iain Banks' use of the word. I mean you are describing a lot of what strikes me as being the hidden winter that occupies the space between the times and locations when more frail beings such as myself venture onto the winter hills.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Klaasloopt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:39 pm

litljortindan wrote: It is a very interstitial report

gaffr wrote:Do you think that would stand up to a publishing in book form? and maybe would reach a wider audience?
Many thanks.

Wow.
Scotland's like a bucket full of beads. Thousands of trees, shielings, double-sided cornices, frozen waterfalls, hut-circles and grouse feathers. Some 282 and 221 items are on a list. Go dip a needle and thread into the bucket and catch a chain of impressions. (insert melancholy smiley)

:idea: Luckily, there's MORE to see each year, just like a well-known painting or love reveals something new every time. Like ... Wait! There's a fort on Ben Griam Beg, and a train station called Forsinard! Where's map 10? Gotta go! :lol: :lol:

A book? Read Chatwin or O'Hanlon or McFarlane: a book is lightyears away from a WH report. I'll let that pass, for now ;-)
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Meatball » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:56 pm

I salute you!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 pm

The "crazy" Dutchman returns with what can only be described as a sensational trip, one many of us only dream about :D Brilliant :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ceaser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:49 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: fantastic adventure and read ,well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:52
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby paul.copestake » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:52 pm

Klaas - absolutely pic - your pictures do not show the wind - I was concerned for the first few days, it was freezing in Ullapool - felt happier and more envious as the days past and it stayed sunny. at least in Harlaam you don't have to look at the tempting mountains from your office but can dream about them instead! Paul
paul.copestake
Backpacker

Postby gordon l » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:58 am

A truly fabulous account of an epic trip. This is the best report I have read for ages: great mix of lyrical and descriptive prose and some wonderful pictures. I particularly like the tiny snow-clad forest. Thanks :clap:
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Postby yokehead » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi Klaas. An absolutely superb report once again and, oh my, what a cold one you had. I'm glad the fry-up was such a great reward along the way and I reckon just looking at that photo will be an instant reminder for you of your 9 epic days!

I've not been able to get to Scotland for over a year, have missed a winter visit for the first time in 4 years and must confess I've not looked at trip reports on WH for ages either - too jealous and frustrating when I'm unable to get there! But I have been looking out for your 'annual report', always an inspiring read, thank you.

As for your Beinn Fhada report http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30267
For me, it is hard to understand how people can be satisfied going back down into the corrie at this point, with all the good stuff laid out to the west

Yes indeed, it is something very special and worthwhile and I loved reading your report that reminded me of my traverse 2 years ago. Here it is to perhaps, alongside your report, inspire others to go for it too. Satisfaction guaranteed! http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9983
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

43 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland