walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glorious day in the Arrochar Alps

Glorious day in the Arrochar Alps

Postby dtaylor5632 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 06/04/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1011m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well the missus had been wanting to come and join me on one of my munro walks for quite a while now and with a failed attempt 2 weeks ago due to the storms it seemed like the weekend and Beinn Ime would be a good bet instead of Ben Lawers 2 weeks ago.
We prepared our bags the night before and looking at the weather reports and taking advice from the WH forum I decided that we would take the crampons and ice axes but I wasn't really intending on using them (better safe than sorry). We always had the option not to go up if conditions under foot were pretty bad, plus I didn't want Jill's first experience of a munro being taught how to walk in crampons and how to use an ice axe :) Though I did have the notion of throwing her in the deep end!
We got to the car park at the west side of Arrochar at around 9.30am, the sun was out and though there were a few clouds in the sky it was looking up. We quickly set off up the zig zaggy path up to the valley heading for the bealach between The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain. Half way up Jill informed me that she had put her thermals on this morning anticipating a cold day and was paying for that now :D
Once at the bealach we made the normal ascent up Beinn Ime and rather than wittle on I'll let the pics do the talking :)
DSC00297.jpg
Glorious weather at the start.

DSC00312.jpg
The Cobbler coming into view, always impresses me no matter what season it is.

DSC00321.jpg
Having a wee break

DSC00336.jpg
The prize for today

DSC00352.jpg
views heading up

DSC00359.jpg
about to start the final part of the climb, views spectacular everywhere

DSC00377.jpg
Got to the summit for this view! But the old keep calm and give it 5-10 minute rule came into play

DSC00385.jpg
finally the clag begins to clear

DSC00397.jpg
just a big kid really!

DSC00401.jpg
Beinn Narnain

DSC00407.jpg
back end of the cobbler

DSC00408.jpg
view south
Attachments
DSC00434.jpg
another wee view nearing the end
dtaylor5632
Scrambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Glorious day in the Arrochar Alps

Postby grenfell88 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Great first report mate. Nice potos aswell :clap:

Its mad how quickly the snow is disappearing :shock: I was only up there last wednesday.

As for your trip on the 21st.. I am dayshift that weekend im afraid. Another time though

Chris
grenfell88
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:2

Re: Glorious day in the Arrochar Alps

Postby dtaylor5632 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Cheers buddy,

Yeah it all melts far too quickly! :)
dtaylor5632
Scrambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland