walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two blues only on Aran ridge

Two blues only on Aran ridge

Postby Oxon Crawler » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:35 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Aran Fawddwy, Glasgwm

Date walked: 03/04/2013

Time taken: 7

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1240m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sitting at home for some time slowly started making me stir crazy until last week with all the blazing sun and glorious weather when I felt I HAVE TO GET OUT. With the weather forecast very much favourable all across the UK it was about making decision between south and north Wales. After lengthy deliberations I've set my sights on Aran Fawddwy ridge thinking it might be easy enough in this weather. My original plan was to do as much of the ridge as possible and try to get all of those six blues possible. With a hindsight it was a too great expectations and wishful thinking (bit foolish as well) :roll:
After very early alarm, bit of preparation, I've set out of the house at 4:45 and hit the M40, then to M54 and after short breakfast and coffee stop at Telford services I've arrived to Cwm Cywarch at about 8:20. Changed into walking gear, repacked and checked my rucksack and hit the track at 8:45.
After a short, quick jaunt back down the road turned right towards Gesail Farm, through the gate, over the ford, past farm building and started climbing the track between Y Gribin and Craig Cywarch.

Craig Cywarch track visible on the mountainside

Had a little companion for a while

The track gets gradually steeper as it gets higher and with the snow on it was turning into a bit of slog but with the views opening more and more there was always a reason to make a short stop to admire the landscape and catch my breath.

Track up with Cwm Cywarch cliffs in the background

Hengwm valley

Hengwm valley from the col with Aran Fawddwy in the back

Maesglase from the col

Once on the ridge the wind picked up considerably so it was time to put jacket, glove and hat on. Unfortunately there will be no respite from the biting wind all the day until later when deep down in Hengwm.
Ascent to Glasgwm (my first summit of the day) from this side must be fairly horrible in different weather as I can imagine the ground must be extremely boggy. I've experienced problems of different kind tho' as this time the slopes were covered in all kinds of snow imaginable - soft, hard packed, breaking crust, icy etc. - which made for very hard going, being very exhausting physically as well as psychically. Time to don the spikes and carry on towards the summit. After long hard plod complimented with constant breaking through the crust I've finally reached first summit of the day.
Views from the top were just amazing although I had to carry on further fairly quick as the wind was trying to blow me off my feet.

Llyn y Fign with Glasgwm summit in the back

Cadair Idirs from Glasgwm

Aran Fawwdwy from the summit cairn of Glasgwm

From the top I've set off down the north side of Glasgwm along the fence towards Aran Fawddwy. Ground is very steep in this part and with the snow hard packed and frozen by strong winds there was a great care needed to descend safely down towards (now invisible under the snow) little llyn in the col. I'm pretty much happy with my microspikes as they performed well even though I've avoided the steepest and iciest parts.

View back toward Glasgwm north side

Aran Fawddwy

Cadair Idris behind Glasgwm

Cadair Idris zoomed

Now, as the walk wasn't getting any easier, with lots of wading and breaking through the knee deep snow, strong 40-50 mph freezing wind, exhaustion slowly setting in and time slowly ticking away I've had to make some decisions. In the end I've decided to drop the other tops off my list and do only the main one - Aran Fawddwy - and then turn back down through Hengwm.

Aran Fawddwy - getting closer, snow fields ahead

Nearly there

Finally...

Views were just stunning

After a quick bite and warm coffee from flask I've started making my way down, initally the way I came to the top, later on turning left along the fence towards Drws Bach. On the slopes down to DB I've seen first and last group of people that day, otherwise haven't seen a living soul all the day. As soon as I've descended towards Drws Bach wind picked up considerably with lots of sharp snow drifting, trying to blind me and scrape my face clean of any flesh :?

Aran Fawddwy from Drws Bach

Drws Bach memorial cairn

Drws Bach cornices

Down towards Hengwm

Aran Fawddwy with Creiglyn Dyfi

After couple of mishaps (falling in the snowdrifts crotch deep) I've got to the head of Hengwm and started long and slow descent down the side of the valley. Great care was needed as there was a lots of snow on the path, especially where the path is higher up the side, and any major slip will be a sure and express way to the bottom (and probably to the hospital too :sick:). Successfully negotiated two fairly treacherous gullies and finally reached parts with much less snow cover where I can remove my spikes, hooray :wink: Then it was just a short walk through the farmland back to parking lot and my car waiting for my return.

Head of Hengwm

Hengwm

Bryn Hafod

Cywarch farmland

Back at the parking lot

It was excellent day out, been bit knackered afterwards but it was very rewarding - as someone said: "When you're up there on a day like this it makes you realize why you do this."
And that I haven't done more of those blue baloons? Never mind, there will be other opportunities and at least I have a reason why to go back there 8)

AranF.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Name: Aran Fawddwy
Activity type: walking
Description: Hike of Glasgwm and Aran Fawddwy from Cwm Cywarch
Total distance: 17.10 km (10.6 mi)
Total time: 7:07:18
Moving time: 5:49:15
Average speed: 2.40 km/h (1.5 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 2.94 km/h (1.8 mi/h)
Max speed: 18.90 km/h (11.7 mi/h)
Average pace: 24.99 min/km (40.2 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 20.43 min/km (32.9 min/mi)
Fastest pace: 3.17 min/km (5.1 min/mile)
Max elevation: 957 m (3138 ft)
Min elevation: 183 m (600 ft)
Elevation gain: 1248 m (4094 ft)
Max grade: -8 %
Min grade: -18 %
Recorded: 03/04/2013 08:47
Oxon Crawler
Mountaineer

Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Re: Two blues only on Aran ridge

Postby clivegrif » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Great stuff there, and some cracking pictures to go with it.

The Arans with snow on are just lovely, and I'm glad to see you had a bit of sunshine to perk up the views.

I know exactly what you mean about that Stir-crazy feeling, its probably why I ended up on Drygarn Fawr on Monday!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby ChrisW » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 pm

I'll bet you are glad you got out and did this cracker OC, beautiful photos of a lovely hike....your little companion is cute......but would look better with some mint sauce :wink: Great report :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Oxon Crawler » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 am

clivegrif wrote:Great stuff there, and some cracking pictures to go with it.

The Arans with snow on are just lovely, and I'm glad to see you had a bit of sunshine to perk up the views.

I know exactly what you mean about that Stir-crazy feeling, its probably why I ended up on Drygarn Fawr on Monday!

Cheers Clive, yes it was a cracking day, bit hindered by high winds (not my own :wink: ) with strong windchill down to somewhere -12, -14 deg C but nothing what cannot be helped by good wrap in enough layers, hat and Buff over my face.

ChrisW wrote:I'll bet you are glad you got out and did this cracker OC, beautiful photos of a lovely hike....your little companion is cute......but would look better with some mint sauce :wink: Great report :clap:

Thanks Chris, lovely indeed with all the sun albeit bit exhausting and bloomin' freezing. :wtf:
Tried to offer the little lamb a bit of rosemary and garlic and cosy and a warm place ...in my owen... but it just kept running away from me, don't know why :think:
Oxon Crawler
Mountaineer

Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Ibex » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 am

Glad to see you got up into the hills OC.
I too know that stir crazy feeling, when you want to get up there. Did a fair old walk as well.

Fantastic pictures too. :)
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland