walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"Wee Guy" returns to Ime and nails it for his 30th Munro!

"Wee Guy" returns to Ime and nails it for his 30th Munro!

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme

Date walked: 07/04/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 5.35 km

Ascent: 808m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Wee Guy wanted to settle his score with Beinn Ime :lol: , so we chose a shorter but direct route from Butter Bridge. The forecast was good apart from some possible cloud around midday, so up early and away we went. Arriving at the car park at around 8.15, we were soon kitted up and walking by 8.30.
DSC02248.jpg
Here we go
DSC02252b.jpg
Spring has sprung....apparently!
There were three ice climbers in front of us and Kyle was keen to know what they were up to and where they were going. I am sure it was all the shiny pieces of equipment they had strapped to themselves which made him more interested. :D I managed to convince him that he had to get another couple of years under his belt before mum would let him go ice climbing. :shock: The route was quite simple; we followed the Allt Beinn Ime straight up to the Glas Bhealach, turned south and headed straight for the summit. It was steep and direct but good fun, we used the crampons and ice axes on the steep bits which Kyle loved, all good experience for him. Four guys passed us on the way up the initial slopes just prior to the Glas Bhealach, worth pointing out that the cloud had now descended and visibility was about 20 metres.
DSC02258.jpg
View back to Butter Bridge
DSC02260.jpg
Brew time
We chatted about where they were heading and it seemed we all had the same plan….strangely they headed off in a north easterly direction. I shouted out to them but they seemed content with their navigation.
DSC02265.jpg
Ice Climber Kyle
I showed Kyle the map and compass and explained my concerns about the guys choice of direction, still we tried! We hit the summit after about 3hrs, amazing feelings of joy on this one as it was the “Wee Guy’s” 30th Munro summit in a little under a year. :D
DSC02268.jpg
Munro number 30!
He was very chuffed as you would expect. We had our lunch and talked to a few people on the summit that had come up from the other side (Beinn Narnain); it sounded a little less steep or as Kyle said “boring”! It was here that two of the four guys I mentioned earlier turned up, they said they had been on a “diversion”, two of the guys where still nowhere to be seen which was a little worrying. The thought they had got lost in the clouds. We asked if they wanted us to help try and find them but they insisted no, so we said our goodbyes and left. Not heard anything on the news, so fingers crossed they all got off ok.
DSC02270.jpg
A bit murky
As we left the summit we headed straight down to the Bealach a Mhargaidh, then simply followed the burns in a north westerly direction back to the starting point. It was a great descent route, massive snowfield most of the way down, very safe and easy walking or should I say sliding / skiing, great fun. :D
DSC02271.jpg
Kyle practising his self arrest techniques
DSC02279.jpg
Descent route in the background
DSC02283.jpg
Typical, cloud clearing!
We were back at the car at 2.30 exactly, another amazing day.
DSC02287.jpg
Mission accomplished, bring on the next one!
Memory generating overload as ever and I did feel very proud as I got to the car park and people asked Kyle how many Munro’s he had done. :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: "Wee Guy" returns to Ime and nails it for his 30th Munro

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Well done Kyle on your 30th! :clap:

Lovely pic of him and the dog at the top. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby weescotsman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Congrats again to the wee man / mountain goat (not forgetting Marley of course )..... he's gonna catch me up by next year I reckon. Still to re-visit Ben Ime and I think I might have a look at your route instead of the standard WH route up from Succouth going in between Narnian and The Cobbler.
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:32 pm

dogplodder wrote:Well done Kyle on your 30th! :clap:

Lovely pic of him and the dog at the top. :D

Thanks Dogplodder! :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby davedanson28 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:36 pm

weescotsman wrote:Congrats again to the wee man / mountain goat (not forgetting Marley of course )..... he's gonna catch me up by next year I reckon. Still to re-visit Ben Ime and I think I might have a look at your route instead of the standard WH route up from Succouth going in between Narnian and The Cobbler.

Hey Brian, thanks for the comments...I will pass them onto him! You best get climbing! :lol:
Would defo recommend the route....It might be worth doing before the thaw as I think the bottom stretches might become boggy! :( It's rock hard at the moment which is nice. :D Catch you soon, cheers Dave.
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Postby Ibex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Excellent stuff. Great to see a young lad enjoying it so much.
The photo at the top made me laugh, as it makes it look like your dog has his own ice axe.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby davedanson28 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Ibex wrote:Excellent stuff. Great to see a young lad enjoying it so much.
The photo at the top made me laugh, as it makes it look like your dog has his own ice axe.

Thanks for the comments Ibex, agree with you that it is good to see him enjoying the great outdoors...long may it continue as it gives me a good excuse to keep climbing mountains! :D Marley the Munro Dog, he has climbed a few and still seems to be enjoying it! Thanks again. :wink:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland