walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Only 2 from 10 for Achnashellach Trio

Only 2 from 10 for Achnashellach Trio

Postby trekker53 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr, Sgòrr Ruadh

Corbetts included on this walk: Fuar Tholl

Date walked: 05/04/2013

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 13.6 km

Ascent: 1630m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This being my first meet I decided to join up with the gang doing Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh. There was also the option of Fuar Tholl, after finishing the second Munro.

After setting up camp in the Caravan club campsite, only £7 with excellent facilities I headed over to Achnashellach to be in good time for the 10am start.
Once there I managed to find a parking space in a very crowded layby.
Said hello to all though trying to remember a glut of names all at once is near impossible I find.
Once everyone had arrived, there was 10 of us, we set off.
My plan was to hang at the back but somehow I ended up being at the front.
The path was good and dry and made for easy going.
SAM_0902.JPG
Bod photographing Fuar Tholl

Once at the cairns for the path junction I waited for the others to confirm which way. I thought it would be to the right and this was confirmed. A short distance later a smaller branch path lead us up the hill. The obvious track quickly gained height. I lost the track at times as I crossed the stony section and said to myself to keep climbing and all will be well.
I looked over to the Corbet Fuar Tholl standing majestic in the sunshine with its covering of snow. Maybe we might get a chance to bag it.
SAM_0903.JPG
Fuar Tholl

Before long I was at the large cairn at the 876m top with its windswept snow to one side. Photos taken I waited for the others to arrive. I didn't think I was going fast, maybe the others were doing to much talking or was it last nights hangover? Hmm.
Once all had arrived, Bod mentioned who would be interested in doing the Corbet Fuar Tholl. I said yes as did Graeme. Looking around no one else seemed interested. I was quite surprised at this as reading the forums earlier a few mentioned they'd like to do it.
SAM_0906.JPG
Taking a rest at 876m top

It was decided we should split from the group to give us some extra time.
So from arriving thinking I would just follow the pack, I was now part of a breakaway duo. Such is life!!
After some nibbles we set off down the ridge taking in the wonderful landscape all around.
SAM_0908.JPG
Myself ready for the challenge

The Torridon mountains to our right looked fantastic and with the clear air the visibility was very distant. The snow had some give in it so crampons were not required. I bought crampons and axe especially for this trip and now maybe I won't need them. Still the previous weekend I was in the Fannichs and used them there.
We traversed the rollercoaster of the ridge quite quickly. My thoughts went back to the time I did these two accompanying a couple of Kinross guys, Jim and Norman whom I met on a Everest trek. They were on their last two Munros and a party was organised in Gerrys hostel. On the first day the weather was crap so only Beinn Liath Mhor got done, leaving Sgorr Ruadh for the following day. No views, strong winds and rain made it all so miserable. Once the celebratory drinks and photos were taken at summit we didn't hang around long.

Now I'm doing it again but in one day and in such glorious weather, I couldn't be any happier.
Ahead we could see a couple of guys were at the summit cairn.
SAM_0909.JPG
Graeme approaching summit

Soon we had joined them. They were walking from Annat to Achnashellach taking in the 2 Munros. We rested there admiring the views. We could have stayed there for ages but the next 2 summits were still ahead.
SAM_0912.JPG
Beinn Liath Mhor conquered

We descended following the footprints in the snow that took us easily to the breach in the rock wall, marked by a small cairn and a easy scramble down took us to flatter ground. We sat on some rocks and ate lunch. All was well.
A traverse across the rocky knoll sometimes on track and more often not we descended to the Coire Lair path. We then veered right and took an easier zig zag line up the snowy slopes.
The steepness eased off, I took a breather then Graeme led the way for the final push to the summit.
Large cornices to our left and the wonderful views of the Beinn Liath Mhor ridgeline made the ascent less tiresome.
SAM_0913.JPG
Beautiful view of the ridgeline
Up ahead those 2 guys were at the summit but by the time we arrived they were gone. We took some photos and gazed over to our next challenge Fuar Tholl 2km away.
SAM_0915.JPG
Celebrations at Sgorr Ruadh summit
SAM_0916.JPG
Graeme admiring the views
SAM_0917.JPG
Fuar Tholl

A 300m descent was negotiated very quickly as we glissaded down the snowy slopes. We passed the frozen Loch a' Shealaich Mhoir on its western side and skirted around some smaller frozen lochans untill we came to the foot of the Creag Mainnrichean buttress.
SAM_0918.JPG
Fuar Tholl with a frozen Loch a' Shealaich Mhoir
Up ahead we could see a track in the snow so we made our way towards it. It got quite steep with a lot of zig zagging around rocks till the steepness eased off. Now it was just a pleasant walk along the cliff line keeping away from the cornices till we came to our objective.
SAM_0919.JPG
Follow the corrie edge line
We arrived at the summit at 1740hrs. That was 7.5 hours after setting off. Whoppee!! Job done but how long will it take to get back down to the cars?
SAM_0920.JPG
Fuar Tholl summit

I imagined we would go back to join the path to take us down to the Coir Lair track. However Graeme had other ideas. We would go down its south east ridge line. There's no path so it was a case of picking your own line to follow. We descended safely down through the snow with Loch Dughaill a long way down.
SAM_0921.JPG
Graeme leading the way
Then it was just negotiating the rough terrain always moving quickly to gain time. Down to a flatter area we headed east past some frozen waterfalls and through some large overgrown heather till we came to the river which we easily crossed. A short walk then took us to the path where it goes through the fence and now we were on the home straight. I'm sure we could both taste that beer now.
Back at the carpark, only our 2 cars remaining we headed quickly off for that pint.
Thanks Graeme for making it all possible. A very enjoyable day out.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Re: Only 2 from 10 for Achnashellach Trio

Postby gordon l » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Great pics and report there on a big day. How did you find the descent off Fuar Tholl? Did the 2 munros the day after you but didn't have the legs for a third summit. Good effort :)
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Postby trekker53 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi Gordon,
The descent was OK, just being careful with the snow. I wouldn't have liked it if we had poor visibility. It was just a lot of rough walking meandering around a bit.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm

great stuff :) :clap: :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby kevsbald » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Despite my initial protestations to Graeme that Slioch trumped Fuar Thol, that is a very tasty hill indeed. I gotta get me some of that and am in Inverness on the 18th. yum.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Great TR Trekker. Impressive and enjoyable walking with great pics ....and very good company.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Tomsie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Well done Trekker done these as well but headed a little more south off Fuar Tholl to a flattish area, that Corbett really took it out of me on ascent, but well worth it.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:31 pm

I can see why Saturday's route seemed like second best now! Great round, and an interesting descent too - I've come up the east ridge a couple of times and had my eye on the SE one.

Good to meet you at the weekend :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby pigeon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:25 pm

Well done the pair of you for getting round,so many options up there,will do this route next time up :D Great report trekker :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby trekker53 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Will see a few of you again at the summer meet in Skye. Might arrive on the Wednesday. Can't wait.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Superb, it's a cracking walk this and well done on bagging the Corbett as well. It's a tough day doing the three. I did the Corbett first when i did this round, allways best to leave the Munros till last as it's too easy to give up if you leave the "little" ones till last. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Ah, wonderful memories there Charlie. Believe it or not, I took 123 photos that day. I've whittled them down to roughly half that many but am still struggling to get anywhere near putting a TR together, what with being in Barcelona last week and now back at work and facing a very different kind of mountain to climb! Cheers for your company on the day. It was a pleasure walking with you and here's to maybe teaming up again on Skye in August! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Superb, it's a cracking walk this and well done on bagging the Corbett as well. It's a tough day doing the three. I did the Corbett first when i did this round, allways best to leave the Munros till last as it's too easy to give up if you leave the "little" ones till last. :D

Never any chance of that happening that day Johnny. We weren't giving up on that little beauty! :wink:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby munrobagger46 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:13 am

Well done Charlie another great effort and brilliant pictures.
munrobagger46
Munro compleatist

Munros:114   Corbetts:11
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:3   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland