walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kinlochewe meet: Ruadh-stac Beag and Meall a Ghiuthais

Kinlochewe meet: Ruadh-stac Beag and Meall a Ghiuthais

Postby malky_c » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:54 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Ghiubhais, Ruadh-stac Beag

Date walked: 06/04/2013

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1450m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Ruadh-stac Beag, Meall na Ghiuthais.
Date: 06/04/2013.
Distance: 17.5km
Ascent: 1450m
Time taken: 7 hours, 30 minutes.
Weather: Mixed with sunny spells.

I had all sorts of weird and wonderful plans for arriving at the Kinlochewe meet - either by bike from Inverness or walking over some hills from Achnashellach. Sadly fate intervened and I ended up in the south of England on the Thursday for my gran's funeral. Arriving back in Inverness at Friday lunchtime, I had a few hours to pack up before catching the (extremely rare) bus out to Kinlochewe. The driver dropped me right at Taagan campsite and I pitched up in the stunning evening sunshine, before strolling back to the pub to meet everyone and have a pint or 4.

I was reasonably restrained in the pub, and the next day decided to do Ruadh-stac Beag and Meall a Ghiuthais with Graeme and Charlie. A better forecast may have tempted me up Slioch, and in the event, the weather earlier in the day was much better than expected. I have posted reports for both of these hills before so I won't dwell too much on the detail.

RSB and MaG.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Creag Dhubh of Beinn Eighe:

A slight confusion over which carpark to meet at, and we were on our way shortly before 11am - with all that daylight, why get up earlier? We followed nature trails and a stalker's path for some time before contouring up the side of Coire an Tuill Ban. The cloud levels were ever changing, but overall the views were good, and I was chuffed to get decent weather for a second time on this hill.

Back to Kinlochewe, Fannaichs and Fionn Bheinn in the background:

Ruadh-stac Beag:

Creag Dhubh from Coire an Tuill Ban:

Meall a Ghiuthais with A Mhaigdhean and Slioch in the background:

While the corrie was well plastered in snow, the final ridge onto the summit was almost bare. Luckily the scree and rocks were much more stable than expected, and while steep, it was a nice enough ascent.

Graeme and Charlie approaching Sgurr Ban:

Photos of taking photos of taking etc etc:

Final ascent to Ruadh-stac Beag:

Impressive views all around, particularly of Liathach. I don't think Graeme and Charlie were too disappointed, despite this playing second fiddle to the round of Coire Lair they had done yesterday in perfect conditions.

Spidean Coire nan Clach:

Ruadh-stac Mor:

Liathach:

Graeme near the summit:

Baosbheinn, Beinn an Eoin and Beinn a Chearcaill:

Loch Maree and Beinn Airigh Charr:

Meall a Ghiuthais:

I had thought the best way onto Meall a Ghiuthais would be a retracing of our steps, but luckily Graeme was more adventurous and took us down the NW ridge towards Glen Grudie. This was rough as hell and the steepest bit had snow of just about every possible consistency on it, but it took us to a great spot with an unexplored aspect of Meall a Ghiuthais ahead. This looked pretty intimidating from lower down, but in reality the climb back up had some great walking across vast slabs of rock.

Back to Ruadh-stac Beag:

Meall a Ghiuthais from the Druim Grudaidh:

We spiralled round the hill to avoid some of the steepess, but unfortunately the cloud moved in just as we hit the snowline again. The snow was pretty crappy, being soft and lying over ankle-trapping boulders. The curse of Meall a Ghiuthais was striking again! This was my third ascent, again with no views. I went to the wrong summit on the first occasion, so knew not to be fooled by the first cairn this time. At least it was less windy than when I had been here with HighlandSC a couple of years earlier!

Loch Maree again before the cloud moved in:

Summit pose on Meall a Ghiuthais:

We retraced steps a short way down from the top before striking off SE, and striking gold. A burn in a shallow hollow on this side of the hill held snow all the way down to about 500m, despite the rest of the hillside being stripped bare. This allowed a rapid bumslide/footskiing descent most of the way to the stalker's path out :D . As punishment for that, the stalker's path seemed to have doubled in length while we were away, and it was a relief to finally reach the carpark.

A great day out, and quite hard going in places - cheers to Graeme and Charlie for the company and route choice :D . And of course cheers to everyone else for making it a great meet - certainly brings the life into what would have been an empty bar in the Kinlochewe hotel otherwise!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:276   Hewitts:269
Wainwrights:122   Islands:36

Re: Kinlochewe meet: Ruadh-stac Beag and Meall a Ghiuthais

Postby trekker53 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Hi Malky,
Enjoyed reading your report of our day out together. You managed to get some great mountain shots and with atmosphere. The highlight was coming down that snow line. That was my fastest ever descent of a mountain except maybe by cable car. Hopefully we'll meet again sometime. Charlie.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:194   Corbetts:71
Grahams:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Gavin99 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:19 am

Nice photos and an interesting route for these two , yet another 'must do ' walk in this area . Myself and Ritchie walked as far as the Bealach on the same day , we discussed what a nice route that snow filled gully looked !
2013_0406test0192.JPG

Cheers :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:279   Corbetts:133
Grahams:75   Donalds:67
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   

Postby pigeon » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Nice route malky,as Gavin has said another one added to my ever expanding list :lol: Good to meet you and a few others Walkhighlanders on Friday cheers :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:94
Grahams:38   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby kevsbald » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 am

Sorry to read of your gran's passing, Malky.
Good to see you albeit briefly.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:119
Grahams:76   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:38 am

Another fine, detailed report to add to the 'refer back to later' list! :D
dogplodder

Munros:232   Corbetts:57
Grahams:17   
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23

Postby Scotjamie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:58 pm

Nice one Malky - was good to meet. Vey enjoyable report on hills I know little about.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 pm

I was really interested to read your report and some excellent photos, as usual :thumbup:
malky_c wrote:We followed nature trails

I managed to do the Woodland Trail (1.5kms) a couple of years ago and that's quite a long way
for me!! :lol: :lol:
Condolences about your Gran; a sad time.
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Graeme D » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:06 am

Hey Malky,

Just back from Barca after a few days of not thinking about hills at all, and this brings back great memories of last weekend. That footskiing descent down the stream bed was awesome! Will get my TR up sometime in the week. Glad to hear you liked the "adventurous" descent off RSB! :D
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby Bod » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:39 am

Well done you guys! That was an impressive effort ....a weekend to remember for a long time....good for the soul :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Grahams:30   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:42   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Postby malky_c » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Cheers all :D .

SusieThePensioner wrote:I managed to do the Woodland Trail (1.5kms) a couple of years ago and that's quite a long way for me!! :lol: :lol:

I'd never noticed these before - they are quite useful for getting between the campsite and the village. Something new every time :)

Good to meet the rest of you for the first or second time (dogplodder aside, although it wouldn't surprise me if you do dog walkies along the path behind my house, as I seem to recall you live out on the Culloden/Westhill side of town).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:276   Hewitts:269
Wainwrights:122   Islands:36

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland