walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Faw Hill and Belling Hill stroll

Faw Hill and Belling Hill stroll

Postby wjshaw2 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:01 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Belling Hill

Date walked: 06/04/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 225m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I drove from the walk at Rubers Law (see here: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30579&p=187666#p187666) to the junction of the roads on the side of Doorpool Hill. They've been laying a pipeline or cable from here along the side of the road towards the A68. The verges are wide enough and firm enough to take a car or two. I walked along that road until I reached a gate near the Settlement just off the road to the north. It's quite impressive, the best part of 100m long and 'preserved' by being covered in trees. the 2m high banks around it are well preserved however. Iron Age?

The Settlement on Faw Hill.jpg
The banks of the settlement

Forested settlement.jpg

A hop over a gate and under an unnecessary electric fence led me to the rather newer Peel which has three walls standing to several metres, a wonderful low door, and one window looking S to Belling Hill. It also looks a wee bit wobbly, so didn't hang around leaning or climbing on the walls. A peel is a medieval fortified house quite characteristic of the wild Border country.

Peel.jpg

Low, narrow door for defence.jpg
Low, narrow door for defence

From there I headed north across fields and through good gates to the top of Faw Hill - a much better viewpoint than Belling Hill proved to be later on. It was here that I thought I should probably have just combined Rubers Law with a long circuit over Black Law to the north, this wee hill, Belling Hill and Bonchester Hill, maybe starting from Bonchester Bridge and finishing at the pub there. Another time.

The Cheviot from Faw Hill.jpg
The Cheviot...

Belling Hill from Faw Hill.jpg
...and Belling Hill from Faw Hill.

Quarried scoops on Faw Hill summit.jpg
Quarried scoops on Faw Hill
Snow drifts near Faw Hill top with English border tops on the horizon.jpg
Snow drifts near Faw Hill top with English border tops on the horizon

I descended Faw Hill to the East of the forestry plantation and then picked up what should, according to the map, be the old path across Cummings Hill and the shoulder of Belling Hill, but that doesn't really exist, but there is now a much bigger track which starts at the same place used for forestry access, but it heads off to the South rather than anywhere near Cummings Hill. That said, Cummings Hill really is just a heathery spur itself.

Faw Hill and Rubers Law from Cummings Hill.jpg
Faw Hill and Rubers Law from Cummings Hill

I crossed it and walked up to the wall with the forestry. On the way I crossed a ditch lined with gorse, that I was later to work out was the actual line of the forestry marked on the 1:50000 map. So the wall I actually found followed the purple line of the Forestry Commission woods marked on the map. This wall leads straight to the top, which confused me a bit as I wasn't expecting it to do that, but after looking around it had to be the top, I worked out that some of the forestry had gone completely and this wall was not on my map.

It was quite an underwhelming top. If the forestry there hadn't been felled, to get to the top you'd have had to have crawled to the foot of a tree to get to it, but there's now a wee cairn developing on it. As often happens with wee Marilyns, it's not actually a great viewpoint because of the forestry surrounds and it not being much higher than surrounding wee lumps. But it's another balloon that's turned blue.

Cairn at the top of Belling Hill.jpg
Cairn at the top of Belling Hill

The route down was fairly quick. Assuming there was a track access to the mast on the western spur of Belling Hill I headed towards the north side of it and found the gates that lead back to the road, happily meaning that apart from that one wire of electric fence near the settlement, I'd crossed gates all along this walk.

I think this hill definitely works better as part of a larger walk rather than just popping up to it from the nearest road (it looks like there's a reasonable path up through the forestry from the Falside side). The Bonchester Bridge circuit is now definitely on my list.
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:62
Grahams:55   Donalds:75
Sub 2000:159   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:15   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland