walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Loch Ness Trail - Loch Tarff to Dores

South Loch Ness Trail - Loch Tarff to Dores

Postby andrewl7642 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Route description: Loch Ness 360: Fort Augustus to Foyers

Date walked: 24/09/2012

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 45 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walking the South Loch Ness Trail from Loch Tarff to Dores - 24 and 25 September 2012.

This official 28 mile trail starts at Loch tarff, near Fort Augustus and ends in Torbeck on the edge of Inverness, passing by Clune Farm at Dores where the annual 'Rockness' festival is held. Due to adverse weather and lack of time, we only made it as far as Dores Beach.

If you have walked the Great Glen Way and enjoyed the views over Loch Ness, then this is an alternative route you may enjoy along the opposite side of the Loch. The start at Loch Tarff can be accessed via Fort Augustus , which is on the Great Glen Way route. It is possible to walk all the way to Inverness if feeling ambitious.

It was a good walk, very open at the start with some fine views across moorland, followed by stretches on country roads, through farmland and Woodland (although there has been a heck of a lot of deforestation) before eventually descending to Loch Ness. There is a lot of Road Walking but as it follows the loch there are plenty of opportunities to go down to the loch and walk along the pebbles.

Weather wasn't great on this occasion, gale force winds came into force across Scotland overnight, so camping by the loch was a bit scary, was afraid I was going to wake up in it. A tree got blown down onto the road, lucky we were not under it.

If wild camping there are plenty of areas you could consider and could be completed over 2-3 days.

addition0.JPG
The sign describing the route

A quick Bacon Roll and Coffee before we head, as Handy Andy drops us off at the start.

upload1.JPG
My pal at the start of the trail at Loch tarff

upload2.JPG
Looking back as we leave Loch Tarff behind

addition0-1.JPG
Looking back on Loch Tarff

upload10.JPG

upload11.JPG

addition1.JPG
country road... take me home...

addition2.JPG
one of the many paths through farmland

The Coo's were please to see us

upload3.JPG
crossing the stream

Falls of Foyers

upload4.JPG
Falls of Foyers

upload5.JPG
decending towards Loch Ness

addition3.JPG
trepsing through Erchite

upload6.JPG
Erchite Woods - slowly getting darker and wetter

Picnic area by the roadside, great wee camp spot if you don't mind the occasional passing traffic

upload7.JPG
Wild Camp between the roadside and Loch Ness

Weather now atrocious but it was not going to stop us having our Barbecue under the tarp, starving...

Andy and Jason, BBQ under the tarp.

addition4.JPG
The bonny banks of Loch Ness

upload8.JPG
looking back on the shores of Loch Ness

addition5.JPG
Shores of Loch Ness

High winds causing waves of the shore

Dores Beach with Dores Inn, in the background

addition6.JPG
Souvenir Shop at Dores CLOSED... Planned to have some Deep fried Nessy at Dores Inn, but that was also CLOSED

upload9.JPG
Dores Beach - something eerie about this one
Attachments
addition2-1.JPG
Last edited by andrewl7642 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 8 times in total.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: South Loch Ness Trail

Postby pebbles-2 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi Andrew, nice to see this report on WH. I've walked all sections of this so many times I've lost count - even before it became an 'official' walk (not done it all at one go though!!). Has a lovely variety of scenery and terrain and some good camping spots. South Loch Ness may not have big moontins, but it does have tranquillity and beauty unique to the area, and is full of history. Thanks for posting. :)
pebbles-2

Postby andrewl7642 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Glad you like it Pebbles, it was a nice walk, something a little different.
I found the walk online when I was looking to wild camp on the South side of the Loch Ness.

The weather turned out awful that night, torrential rain and gale force winds! I couldn't sleep for worrying the tent would end up in the Loch!

I've added a few more pics to the report. I'm surprised the walk isn't listed on this site.
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Postby pebbles-2 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi again Andrew, I think the full walk only became official last year (or maybe 2011). If memory serves right they had an opening ceremony at the Fair Haired Lads Pass (really dodgy name that one :? - would love to know the origins). I've been thinking of adding a few TR's of this area to the WH site - but then that means they may become busy :think: ... I quite like having them to myself :oops: :wink:

I like your extra pics - you were unlucky with the weather. I have some photos of this area on my walk blog, taken at different times of the year. They might be of interest to you if you intend coming back this way again - it is beautiful in full leaf ... and sunshine!!

:)
pebbles-2

Re: South Loch Ness Trail - Loch Tarff to Dores

Postby andrewl7642 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm

Some great pics Pebbles, I think I will return one day when the weather is good and complete the whole route over 3 days backpacking and wild camping. It just has to be done. I quite fancy timing it so I end up by Clune Farm in time for 'Rock Ness' festival, a wee reward for my efforts before heading home. :lol:
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Postby maldav2 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:30 pm

Loved the blog. Can you recommend a wild camping spot close to Dores?
maldav2
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:1
Walk wish-list

Postby gld73 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:50 pm

I did the full route last year once the section from Fort Augustus to Loch Tarff was finally in place:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91882

andrewl7642 wrote:Some great pics Pebbles, I think I will return one day when the weather is good and complete the whole route over 3 days backpacking and wild camping. It just has to be done. I quite fancy timing it so I end up by Clune Farm in time for 'Rock Ness' festival, a wee reward for my efforts before heading home. :lol:

Unfortunately the Rock Ness festival finished in 2013. There is another festival at the same place now, Groove Loch Ness, but it's all dance music and DJs rather than bands.... :(
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland