walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bengray nr Gatehouse of Fleet

Bengray nr Gatehouse of Fleet

Postby wjshaw2 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:42 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bengray

Date walked: 12/04/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 5.4 km

Ascent: 265m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was a simple wee walk for an afternoon over which we spent far longer than was strictly necessary. Under 2 hours is probably a reasonable time for this stroll. We took 4 :) .

Follow up the path vaguely signposted to Loch Whinyeon on the S side of the stream junction with the road near Laghead and cross the stile at the wall. There's a fisherman's path leading all the way up to the loch, with even a bench placed at the optimum point to overlook it. From just beyond the bench we cut across the boggy moors round the loch and climbed the NW shoulder of Bengray. The first top you reach is not the top, but had the best views that a general murkiness allowed. You then have to cross a barbed wire fence (the wire is broken at at least one point so it's not hard to cross, although the fence is in a bog too) to get to the top at the trig point (I actually wondered if the top was about 10 paces to the west of the trig...?) which should give you views off to the east, but didn't today.

There's plenty of little archaeological lumps and bumps (I couldn't work out what the Fisher's Well was for) like burnt mounds and old shielings up here to look out for.

And you just follow the same route back down.

This hill could easily be combined in one longer walk with White Top of Culreoch (climb it in the near future - the top is in the middle of forestry, currently felled so you can actually get easy access to it) or by driving on and parking elsewhere with other local hills like Cairnharrow or even Cairnsmore of Fleet. It gave a great deal of pleasure for an easy stroll and would give great views of the higher Galloway Hills, if only there was a little less cloud around.

Bengray from the bench.jpg
Bengray from the bench

False summit.jpg
Loch Whinyeon from the lower western top
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:65
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

Re: Bengray nr Gatehouse of Fleet

Postby GillC » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:14 pm

That looks a nice wee afternoon out. Havent been in that part of the world for years,,,might rediscover it. Well done :wink:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby gordonmursell » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:36 pm

I've climbed Bengray many times as we live nearby, and the best route is definitely from Laghead on the Gatehouse of Fleet to Laurieston road, climbing or walking round Benfadyeon on the way to Bengray. It's hardly worth clambering over the fence between the two summits just to get to the trig point, and so far I have failed to find any path that gives access to the trig point directly. However here are two alternatives to the Benfadyeon route. You can walk easily to Loch Whinyeon from Glengap, and from there a very rough path follows the lochside which gives access to Bengray, although the path gives out once you leave the lochside and the ascent is steep and very rough.
Another option, also from Glengap. Park just before the "No unauthorized vehicles" sign at about 652597. Take the right-hand track at the first fork, follow it round to the left and after climbing slightly ignore the right turn (which takes you to Loch Whinyeon). Continue climbing gently, ignore the next right turn (a narrow grassy path) and take the one after that. Follow this track until the forest opens out and a splendid view appears to your right across to the Galloway Hills. Here a smaller path turns left uphill, directly towards Bengray. Follow this until you are at the foot of the summit rocks, and then simply strike upwards and you will reach the summit cairn quite quickly though the going is very rough.
But the Laghead route remains the best. Bengray is a fine little hill and well worth the effort!
Gordon Mursell 5th February 2017
gordonmursell
Munro compleatist

Postby suetaylor » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:21 pm

wjshaw...... I'm interested in finding out more about Fishers' Well (that's how I ended up here). I'm involved in a research project on Galloway Glens wells and their history.

I wonder could you please give me a physical description of it - what does it look like, is there a structure, what is it made of? do you have a photo of it?

My researches so far indicate it's been used in the past as a source of drinking water for passing anglers going to the loch. But as the area has traces of several ruined shielings (apparently - I haven't seen them yet), perhaps it was historically a water source for their inhabitants.

Finally, could you possibly let me know what the distance is from the Laghead junction to the well?

Many thanks.
suetaylor

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland