walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lussting for a couple of ticks in the book

Lussting for a couple of ticks in the book

Postby munroseeker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Route description: Doune Hill and Beinn Eich, from Luss

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Eich, Doune Hill

Date walked: 21/04/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Being an habitual solo walker, I was a bit put off by the forecast for today but it turned out bang on and by lunch time things were looking good. I'd never fancied the Luss hills really but how wrong can you be. Keen to go back and do some of the other Grahams over there after today.
Never driven up Glen Luss before either - not for the faint-heated especially the narrow brig just before the farm!
BTW Don't even think about parking at the farm. Farmer heard me turning the car round and told me to park further down the road (didn't say how far but I got the gist of his conversation though!) Got the impression Luss wouldn't be far enough! :lol:
There's a good wide passing place about a kilometre back down the road which shouldn't inconvenience anyone too much. Anyway, trogged back up to the signpost and stile and head up hill into the clouds. 75 mins later I arrived at the top of Beinn Eich as a guy in running gear set off down the way I came up with hardly a word. Don't know how he'd got there that early as there were no other cars around! As I descended to the col below Beinn Lochain the cloud started to break up and rise so I made Doune Hill just about noon and found a sheltered nook for brunch (how posh, it was actually a Scotch egg and a sandwich). Retraced my steps back over Beinn Eich and met three French people on the top and the view really stated to come into its own. They popped up about 100 yards apart and my ''It's getting crowded up here'' met with a bemused response. Still they thawed out and asked to borrow my map. I think they were using a road map to navigate! Also think they were enjoying themselves which is the main thing I guess.
Found a sheep stuck in a bog which I reported to the farmer (just to show I wasn't put off by his attutide earller) but he was a bit blase and didn't seem too fussed. It was there on the way up four and a bit hours earlier so was clearly ''out of its depth'' in the mire. It's probably still there..if you fancy some fresh lamb for a nice Madras or vindaloo. :(
munroseeker
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:116
Fionas:112   Donalds:79+32
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:18   

Re: Lussting for a couple of ticks in the book

Postby dawnfoth » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:14 pm

Farmers are a weird and unbalanced lot - my Grandad's one - I should know :lol: But to fair to the old guy he is not bad when it comes to visitors. I think that farmers think that you don't have a scooby what you are talking about. I once saw a cow in a field by the main road, owned by a well known dairy, which was what my grandad would term 'cowpt' (stuck on its side with no ability to get back up). I was on the bus on the way to work and phoned them as soon as I got there. The response was the same. Some farmers seem to be worse than others! I wonder what response he gave the french peeps! Ah well, there's always that universal language! :lol:
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland