walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor Mor, following the Dee from Muir Hut

Sgor Mor, following the Dee from Muir Hut

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Route description: Sgòr Mòr circular, from the Linn of Dee

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgòr Mòr

Date walked: 20/04/2013

Time taken: 8.25 hours

Distance: 20.6 km

Ascent: 509m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The club meet for this month was to be held in Braemar at the Muir Hut, with the majority of members arriving with bicycles with plans to bag munros with long walk ins using their bicycles. I was quite happy to add to my small count of Corbetts so after yesterdays two from the other side of Braemar it was decided to have an easy day walking from Muir Hut along the side of the River Dee to the Linn of Dee, head along to White Bridge and up Glen Dee to then climb the Westerly slopes of the Corbett Sgor Mor. With the pace slow and with many stops, time was not important, we had all day so that was the way we appoached the day in general, taking in as much of the views, sounds, wildlife as possible, just to enjoy the tranquil surroundings.
1.JPG
The first couple of killometers was on the road where you could admire the many Scots Pine trees and also the free flowing Quoich water flow into already high river Dee. We were accompanied by many and much birdsong on our way to theLinn of Dee bridge
2.JPG
The waters below the bridge are always a fine spectacle but with snow melt it today it was most impressive
3.JPG
After crossing the bridge your faced with this sign identifying the way to white bridge and the Tilt etc, we headed left here through the Scots Pines and adjacent to the River Dee
4.JPG
Soon you come across the remains of an old Township of Palvorar on the other side of the river Dee. Further on another site of a Township of Tomnamoine which occupies both sides of the track we are on, this is where we would have a stop and a cuppa on our way back
5.JPG
Close up of ruins of Palvorar
6.JPG
After passing a wooded plantation on your right, many trees which have succumed to the strong winds of late you soon are able to see the first sign of White Bridge over the Dee. As we are to be following the river up Glen Dee we take the well made path on our right
7.JPG
Two walkers on their bicycles heading towards Beinn Bhrotain I imagine, on the other side of the river from where we are
8.JPG
First small waterfall at the Chest of Dee
9.JPG
Markings on the underwater stones at the Chest of Dee
10.JPG
Another couple of waterfalls
11.JPG
Looking back to White Bridge
12.JPG
On the path which has got a bit muddy in places now. (Looking South)
13.JPG
On the path looking North
14.JPG
First sign of Sgor Mor
15.JPG
A wee burn crossing before heading up the South West shoulder of Sgor Mor
16.JPG
Two other walkers on the top
17.JPG
Summit cairn on a typical Cairngorm summit
18.JPG
View from the summit looking up the Lairig Ghru
19.JPG
View from cairn to Summit rock which has circular potholes
20.JPG
Circular pothole scoured out by windblast
21.JPG
Another hole on the same red granit stone
22.JPG
It is normal to head back over the top to Sgor Dubh, but we decided just to return the same way along the banks of the River Dee
23.JPG
An old quarry? maybe.
24.JPG
Dead tree, and then a walk back to the Muir Hut to see what the other members had done, a shower and some food and drink.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Sgor Mor, following the Dee from Muir Hut

Postby hills » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 pm

Good timing, been thinking on this one, looks a braw walk. Fine fine view up the Lairig Ghru... 8)
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:22 pm

hills wrote:Good timing, been thinking on this one, looks a braw walk. Fine fine view up the Lairig Ghru... 8)

Hi there hills, nice wee hill, especially since you have the River beside you most of the way, and yes the views on a clear day would be something else from the top, enjoy it when you go, even with the snow melt the hillside is not too wet.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi Rod

Every year I do a Linn of Dee - Derry Lodge - Corrour Bothy - White Bridge - Linn of Dee circular - next time I must include Sgor Mor (it looks good).

Assume you are feeling better after the Lomonds???
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod

Every year I do a Linn of Dee - Derry Lodge - Corrour Bothy - White Bridge - Linn of Dee circular - next time I must include Sgor Mor (it looks good).

Assume you are feeling better after the Lomonds???

Hi Gordie, a lot better thank's very much, two weeks of pain though! :( Got some strong painkillers from the Doc., they seem to be doing the trick. That would be a nice low level round, have done all in parts but never as a one-er, how is your training getting on, you must be putting some miles in, when do you set off?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Bod » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 pm

Very nice, I used to love swimming in the Chests of Dee and I know the area well, but never been up Sgor Mor.....I must remedy that :wink: :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 am

Bod wrote:Very nice, I used to love swimming in the Chests of Dee and I know the area well, but never been up Sgor Mor.....I must remedy that :wink: :D :D

Hi Bod, Swimming! brave man, mind you on a hot Summers day after a long haul, sounds good, I might just head up there and do the circular walk that 'Gordie12' talked about :D Fine place to pitch a tent you notice as well. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Bod wrote:Very nice, I used to love swimming in the Chests of Dee and I know the area well, but never been up Sgor Mor.....I must remedy that :wink: :D :D

I've been swimming at Chests of Dee as well Bod. A fantastic summers night a few years ago until the local clegs realised there was a meal to be had and that brought a sharp end to the enjoyment :( :(
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland