walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Heasgarnich -you took the breath right out of my mouth

Beinn Heasgarnich -you took the breath right out of my mouth

Postby JimboJim » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:16 pm

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich

Date walked: 23/04/2013

Time taken: 3.4 hours

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 650m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, it had been a long time coming but, Big Jesper and I were getting a bit itchy feet, having not managed on the hills since the turn of the year. The forecast wasn't looking great, 50-60mph winds, possible rain/snow, freezing temps, but when 'ya gotta go, ya gotta go,' as somone once said. It was a marginal call, but we decided to head for Beinn Heasgarnich, having knocked of Creag Mhor, late last year, on another interesting day out. Less said, the better maybe?
Anyway, with weather looking so unpredictable, we decided not to do the hero thing and just took the wagon, right up the hill, after Kenknock, parking just by Lochan Learg nan Lunn. The wind was blowing strong as we prepared to head off at 8.30a.m. and after we had both volunteered to wait till the other returned, we hit the trail, somewhat in trepidation as to what the weather would bring and conditions underfoot.
The going was certainly pretty wet and obvious bogs to stay well clear of. On some days, I guess visibility might make it harder to avoid them. We generally headed west, to SW heading for the north end of the crags of Creag na h-Achlarich, the main problem being to find a crossing point over the Allt Tarsainn, which is more of an Allt, than you might think. Once over there is a fairly steep, but relatively short rise close by a waterfall, then once again onto the flatter, boggy stuff across Coir Ban Mor, which we took to the south of the summit, then made directly north to the top, where it was fair blowing a hooly!
The predictions of 60mph gales couldn't have been far wrong, as we were just about blown off the ridge, having to hold on to each other as we were blown back and forward, round and round. Communication was more or less by gestures, as the wind took the words right out of my mouth, to quote ol' Meat Loaf.
Beinn Heasgarnich 018_1043_800.JPG
Big Jesper
Beinn Heasgarnich 019_1082_800.JPG
Jimbo
Beinn Heasgarnich 016_1068_800.JPG
Are we on the right hill?
Eventually we made it to the cairn and after a quick double check of our location and a picture, or two, we set off back, more or less following the same route. It had taken just under two hours to the summit and we are back at the car in about 3hrs 20m, despite the odd slip, slide and detour round bogs to do the 7 mile trip.
Enough for our first venture of the year. Hopefully, won't be too long till our next and look forward to seeing you there, or somewhere.
Attachments
Beinn Heasgarnich 008_1067_800.JPG
Where does it go? Nobody knows.
Beinn Heasgarnich 014_1067_800.JPG
Beinn Heasgarnich 011_1081_800.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by JimboJim on Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Heasgarnich - you took the words right out of my m

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Good on you JimboJim, I did this one over 20years ago and cannot remember much about it as I found it less than inspiring. Doesn't look very nice at all, but you made it so that's you off collecting those blue balloons for this year, you will be hoping for better weather for your next adventure. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby davedanson28 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Well done Jim...and Jaffa of course! :clap: Sounds and looks like you had a character building experience on this outing! Catch you soon Dave. :D
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby JimboJim » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks, Meister Rod and Dave. Yes, was a bit of a test in different ways, but not the most exacting in terms of distance and ascent, which was probably as well, due to our lack of practice recently. Not that inspiring, as you say, but will probably have its good views to enjoy on a better day and at least it has given me an excuse to explain my baldness, though not sure how many will believe the wind blew it away? (And blue balloon ticked. Next please!)
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland