walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Loch Lochy Munros

The Loch Lochy Munros

Postby LongRanger » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sron a'Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 20/04/2013

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1258m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first outing since last October and I was itching to get back onto the hills. The forecast mid week suggested Friday and Saturday would be the driest days of the week which gave me hope that I would have a chance to climb these two.
After the long drive north from Cambridge and an overnight stop in the Borders I continued northwards and I was full of hope for a good day as I watched the sun rise behind the iconic Forth Railway Bridge.
I arrived at the end of the public road at Kilfinnan and half an hour later I was booted and ready to go.
The walk in via the Great Glen way was an easy an muscle warming start and I found the well marked start to the forest path.
This path does indeed rise steeply through the wood where early flowers added to the scent of the pine trees.
Before I was overcome with poetic thoughts however my nostrils were assaulted by a strong and pungent smell......there in the ditch lay the decaying carcass of a very late red deer. Not wishing to revisit my breakfast :crazy: I hastened on.
The path and yours truly continued climbing steadily to the Cam Bealach where I met a couple of other lads planning to set off up Meall na Teanga.
I have to say the path so far had been very good and except where crossed by a burn, remarkably dry underfoot.
From the bealach (I'm heading up Sron a' Choire Ghairbh) the excellent stalkers path takes the sting out of the climb and even though I'm just beginning to get hill fit it took me only 40mins to reach the ridge.
The wind up here was really strong with some spits of rain and fine snowflakes thrown in.
The summit ridge was shrouded in fine low cloudy mist but not enough to spoil navigation.

I reached the summit 20mins later and had a bite to eat while the wind howled round the small cairn.

It was not a day for a lengthy picnic so I set off again after only ten mins. Walking back to the bealach at the top of the stalker's path the wind reached it strongest and my jacket hood drummed like a flag in a gale. This was also the coldest part of the day and I was glad to get back to Cam Bealach.

From here the path up Meall na Teanga is fairly steep as it skirts round the side of the hill before levelling off across a peaty stretch to the foot of Teanga's ridge.

A second fairly steep ascent brought me up to a short snowfield which was easily crossed to gain the ridge proper.

The ridge ascends steadily to the summit which is not marked by a cairn; the cairn is at the end of the ridge and the views from here are wide and on a perfect day would be amazing. As it was the view was pretty good of the Nevis range and the Grey Corries.

I arrived back at Kilfinnan 9 hours in total later well satisfied with my outing. :D
LongRanger
Mountaineer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland