walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Blair

Mount Blair

Postby Gable Gable End » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:44 pm

Route description: Mount Blair

Fionas included on this walk: Mount Blair

Date walked: 09/01/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 3 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having woken up a bit too late today I thought I'd pop over to Glenshee and get up Mount Blair before the weather turned. This Graham is a great little walk with some fantastic views reaching out to the cairngorms and beyond.

Having never climbed without snow I tried to stick to the path on the map as much as possible although I am sure I strayed a fair few times. A reasonably steep climb in a very short space of time, I think the ascent is actually about 350-400 metres and within 50 minutes I was at the top of the hill enjoying the views out to Glas Tulachalien, Upper gleshee and Bienn a Ghlo. The way down was quick taking as many opportunities as possible to be a human slide on my behind....

Started from the one parking space just past the forest beside Cray in some nice conditions...
IMG_0002.JPG

Within 10 minutes the views were already opening up...
IMG_0004.JPG

The final 20 metres looked favourably upon Glenshee...
IMG_0012.JPG

Ye olde ugly telecom mast at the top...
IMG_0014.JPG

Bienn a Ghlo in the distance...
IMG_0019.JPG

Looking east and the weather closing in...
IMG_0031.JPG

On Route back down and Glenshee basks in the very little sun left...
IMG_0036.JPG

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee, cold bum....
IMG_0037.JPG
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Mount Blair

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:17 am

Some nice pics there, especially of the Glenshee hills... like the last one of the bumslide track! :D
mountain coward

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland