walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Lowther range and one for the road.

The Lowther range and one for the road.

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Green Lowther

Donalds included on this walk: Dun Law, East Mount Lowther, Green Lowther, Lousie Wood Law, Lowther Hill

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Green Hill

Date walked: 19/04/2013

Time taken: 6.3 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started from the parking spot next to the cemetry in Wanlockhead, first time i've been here and what a lovely little village. You start by walking the Southern Upland Way and then onto the tarmac road for a few minutes before taking a path off to the right, this taking you to East Mount Lowther. From here i retraced my steps following the path to a split,taking the right one to the summit of Lowther Hill. It's now a road walk to Green Lowther and from there over Dungrain Law to Dun Law and finally to Louise Wood Law via White Law, the steepest part of the walk. All i had to do now was return to Wanlockhead so had lunch at LWL before heading west off the summit, crossing the Lead Burn and following it towards the south side of Glen Ea's Hill. I then my made my way to the old farm building near Lowther farm and over another burn and followed it up to the 2 Lochans. I then took the track before the building at the Lochs, turning left at a fork, which led me to the tarmac road back to Wanlockhead. On returning to the car, Green Hill was teasing me with a track leading upto the bealach with Black Hill. As it was such a nice day i couldn't resist and i had to go for it and was up and down in 1hour which included a visit to Stood Hill, which i had thought was the Sub as Green Hill is not marked on my map. I realized this when i tried to log Stood Hill and it wasn't there. A great wander in what was the warmest walk of the year for me so far in a lovely part of the country.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Wanlockhead 003.JPG
Bridge over the dried up stream on SUW.

Wanlockhead 005.JPG
Path to East Mount Lowther

Wanlockhead 006.JPG
East Mount Lowther summit

Wanlockhead 007.JPG
Lowther Hill

Wanlockhead 010.JPG
The radar

Wanlockhead 011.JPG
The road to Green Lowther

Wanlockhead 012.JPG
Green Lowther

Wanlockhead 013.JPG
Green Lowther summit

Wanlockhead 016.JPG
On way to Dun Law

Wanlockhead 017.JPG
Louise Wood Law from Dun Law

Wanlockhead 018.JPG
Green Lowther

Wanlockhead 019.JPG
On way to Louise Wood Law

Wanlockhead 020.JPG
Descending White Law, the only real steep part of the walk

Wanlockhead 021.JPG
Peden

Wanlockhead 022.JPG
Louise Wood Law summit

Wanlockhead 028.JPG
Lowthers

Wanlockhead 029.JPG
Following the Burn

Wanlockhead 032.JPG
Green Lowther and the Lochan

Wanlockhead 033.JPG
Louise Wood Law and Dun Law

Wanlockhead 035.JPG
Lowther Hill

Wanlockhead 036.JPG
Green Hill

Wanlockhead 039.JPG
Wanlockhead

Wanlockhead 040.JPG
Lowther Hills

Wanlockhead 044.JPG
Green Hill from Stood Hill

Wanlockhead 046.JPG
A parking area for Green Hill
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: The Lowther range and one for the road.

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:15 pm

That looks a fine walk JC and lots of blue balloons got. I have never been down in those parts for walking, must go sometime when I'm heading South maybe. Did you get a bit of a sweat up doesn't seem like there was a lot of water around. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby gmr82 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:36 pm

That's a nice walk you've done there JC, not the most spectacular of hills but there is some cracking wildlife round that way. Any show themselves on your walk? There is also a strange/surreal enjoyment from walking along a perfectly conditioned road that you never see a car on. I'm gonna have to watch, the Donalds are the only hills I'm ahead of you on (and ever likely to be!)- that's a good batch in one go :)
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Grahams:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby wjshaw2 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Glad you tacked on Green Hill to that walk and, yes, Stood Hill both looks higher, is far more defined as a hill, and gets its name on the map.

I didn't know about Donalds really when I did the highest Lowthers, so have a good excuse to go back and do all the tops again. As if one was needed.

Nice wee walk.
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:62
Grahams:55   Donalds:75
Sub 2000:160   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:15   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 pm

Nice one, JC - you certainly seem to get some more unusal and interesting sights on the donalds and sub 2000s when compared with the munros and corbetts - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks guys. gmr82, no i don't recall any wildlife with the exception of Lambs. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland