walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Donich always be the last place you look...

Donich always be the last place you look...

by electricfly » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:29 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich

Date walked: 27/12/2012

Time taken: 22 hours

Ascent: 800m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Donich always be the last place you look...

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Fantastic read from start to finish EF,being a dog owner myself I can fully understand how you must have felt having to leave without finding or even knowing where Bracken was that night I really feared the worst I can tell you was just so happy when you posted the good news.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:37 pm

a real tearjerker even though i knew the story and don`t especially like dogs, had just dried my eyes then you go and show the heart shape lead. Well done to all who helped out, especially Alfie :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Avocetboy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:25 pm

That's a great story. I look forward to it being made into a movie.. possible titles being "bracken...come home" or, maybe, "dude, where's my dog"
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:20 pm

A heck of a story, EF - can remember reading about it at the time with fingers crossed - glad it all worked out well in the end - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 am

Great story and so glad you guys found her safe and well, a brilliant rescue effort in the conditions. A few years ago i met a walker who had lost one of his Collies on Ben Hope, he thinks it had got blown off and was off home not looking forward to informing his wife. At least you went back to yours with good news. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Logan_Rogue » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:11 pm

A great story with a happy ending, it bought a tear to me eye.

Its great to see all the people who helped out
Logan_Rogue
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:4

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 am

Really, a heart-warming story :D And at the same time, such an emotional rollercoaster, I can see why it took you a while to write the TR. I read it shortly after you posted on Friday, I wanted to comment and... couldn't find suitable words.
Hats off to all folks who came to help rescue Bracken - on such a short note. And who said that hillwalkers & climbers are tough, heartless creatures??
May the new arrivals grow well and healthy :D :D Do you intend to keep them?
Cheers, BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby electricfly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone for their lovely comments on this report. :D

I'd also like to again echo the praises and express my gratitude to Andy, Dave and Ross for their selfless actions and support.

I decided to leave writing the report for a while, mainly because at the time there was still too much emotion wrapped up in the story for me to construct a coherent account of the whole ordeal. After a couple of months when things had returned to normal, I did actually consider leaving it unwritten.

With the arrival of the puppies, some emotions came back to mind and I thought it would be an ideal time to get the report done, now it had an even happier ending than before. :D

Black Panther, when we found out Bracken was expecting, I had hoped to keep a puppy. That was when we thought there would be four or more. Since there is only two, it makes choosing quite difficult and feels rather unfair to select one for staying and one for re-homing. Still not sure if keeping one is practical, so they both may well be offered for sale in the coming weeks. Shona and I both agree that we'd like them to go to hill-walking homes where they would get to experience the joys of the mountains, just like mum and dad. :D
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby electricfly » Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am

Here's a quick wee shot of the boys at 18 days old, eyes newly opened. Little (big) brother likes his belly tickled, but likes his mum's milk even more it would seem! Sorry about the daytime TV audio... :lol:

electricfly

Postby andy millar1 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Brilliant end to an amazing (yet frightning)adventure...i would be lost without my hairy friend!!hope to meet you all and Bracken ...maybe even the pups out on the hills.Hats off to all the great people that helped you in your rescue. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
andy millar1

Postby electricfly » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:28 pm

I thought it would be appropriate to add this photo here on the comments thread of this report...

...Tarsuinn celebrates reaching his 100th munro at Garbh Chioch Mhor summit, with Alfie (dad) and Teallach (brother) looking on. :D

Bracken (mum) was also in attendance but was too busy sniffing out holes to pose for any photos. :lol:
electricfly

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:16 pm

That was a day I'll never forget, most of all for the happy outcome, especially having been there myself, but wet, jeez, but the joy of seeing you reunited the conditions passed without a second thought :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby andyfitz » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:00 pm

All I remember is the very fine pint afterwards and there being a dug involved - oh, and a mad guy on a rope. Mostly the beer though. :-)
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:56 am

andyfitz wrote:All I remember is the very fine pint afterwards and there being a dug involved - oh, and a mad guy on a rope. Mostly the beer though. :-)

:lol: :lol: :lol: yep. best not to remember it all
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:40 pm

Brilliant story - missed it first time round - but what a team - human and canine :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

26 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland