walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Mhor - first Graham of 2013

Creag Mhor - first Graham of 2013

Postby Graeme D » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Mhór (Balquhidder)

Date walked: 24/04/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5.8 km

Ascent: 478m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's not often I post a report with previous walk reports still unfinished and unposted but I just cannot seem to get my reports from the Torridon meet finished!

No such problems with my latest outing - an opportunist strike on Creag Mhor on Wednesday evening. My wife had swapped her usual Wednesday off for Friday, so my parents were looking after Ailsa Wed/Thurs rather than Thurs/Fri. They were also going to keep her overnight and with Debbie having a lot on at work, she was going to take the chance to work late and make some inroads. Cue my chance to head out and make some inroads into my rather stalled Graham count. Creag Mhor was in my sights ever since having to give it a miss in January when I did the neighbouring Corbett Beinn Staccath.

I threw a small pack together on Tuesday evening ready for the off and so was rather dismayed to wake up to a pretty grim Wednesday morning. Oh well, if it's going to be like that, I suppose a bit of working late wouldn't exactly go amiss for me either!

As it happens however, the day improved markedly and so I was out of the school car park by 4pm and along the A85 westbound.

I was parked by Balimore Farm and on my way by 5.30 and back at the car exactly 2 hours later.

Not much to report. A nice evening walk on a pleasant spring evening (yes, it seems spring has finally arrived) with decent views to some of the big beasts of the southern Highlands, many of which (Stob Binnein, Stuc a' Chroin e.t.c.) are still sporting a good covering of snow on northern aspects.

Creag Mhor from Balimore

South down Glen Buckie from the start of the off-piste

Glen Buckie from a little higher up

The big 600m eastern top from just below the corner of the forestry

Early sighting of Loch Earn and Ben Chonzie

The long northern ridge of Benvane - I quite fancy trying this route next time on Benvane!

Vorlich, Stuc a' Chroin and Beinn Each, with the long ridge of Sgiath a' Chaise just visible across Beinn an t-Sidhein

Onto the ridge and over to Stob Binnein and Ben More

Peat bogs, lochs and Munros

Across the hags to the summit

The Big Boys of Loch Earn again

East from Chlach Mhor

Vane and Ledi from just below the summit of Creag Mhor

North east to Meall an t-Seallaidh

Dark skies over Loch Doine and Ceann na Baintighearna

Beinn Staccath from the summit

Moi au sommet

Staccath from the walk out

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Creag Mhor - first Graham of 2013

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi GraemeD

Taking in a hill after work.................Springs arrived!!!

I work in Perth as well and finish early every thursday. I should take a leaf out of your book and do the odd hill on a nice night - I always seem to be in a hurry to get home and miss the chance while in the area.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby David-Main » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:49 pm

Nice one Graeme, love the photies, yes spring is in the air, daylight hours extending which is good for me as well on a Friday as I finish my work at 10.30am and got plenty time for a hill or a walk in for an overnight camp. Have to get down that area sometime.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Postby rockhopper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:18 pm

What's the world coming to, Monsieur D ? Nearly four months gone until your first Graham ? Looks like Ailsa has too firm an influence :wink: :lol: Nice evening for a walk - won't be long before you're back out with Ailsa no doubt - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Nice lochan shot Graeme, always like the lochan shots :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby old danensian » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm

Evening walks - yes - great cameo report..

I thought the year was moving on at last as well - until I went out on Saturday.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland