walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Threading the needle in winter

Threading the needle in winter

by DonnyW » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:25 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 09/01/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Threading the needle in winter

Postby orion » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:14 pm

I wouldn`t say the South Peak was a doddle Spiderman.I think most folk would find the Centre Peak much easier.

An old scanned photo of my pal andI I on top in the late 70`s early 80`s...

Cobbler summit block by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/8581419@
orion

Postby Liathach » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:52 pm

There is another way to reach the top of the Cobbler - enter the eye of the needle but go UP instead of through! I was on top one day (in summer) when a head appeared from the crack. You do need to be slim 'cos the guy had a bit of trouble getting his whole body up through the gap.
Liathach

Postby spiderman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:28 pm

orion wrote:I wouldn`t say the South Peak was a doddle Spiderman.I think most folk would find the Centre Peak much easier.

An old scanned photo of my pal andI I on top in the late 70`s early 80`s...

Cobbler summit block by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/8581419@

I was not meaning it was dawdle now but in the seventies I did it several times and I had only hill walking experience and I thought it was straight forward. However now I find the path down from the South Peak a nightmare. I wonder if there has been a rock fall or other change in the route. Even getting started up the path is very problematic. I would be interested if anyone else has noticed the difference in the path since the seventies.
spiderman
Rambler

Postby spiderman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Liathach wrote:There is another way to reach the top of the Cobbler - enter the eye of the needle but go UP instead of through! I was on top one day (in summer) when a head appeared from the crack. You do need to be slim 'cos the guy had a bit of trouble getting his whole body up through the gap.

I was on top of the Central Peak two years ago and a middle aged woman announced to me that she was about to test if she had put on much weight since her early twenties and proceeded to disappear down a crack in front of me. She was back on the ground next to the central Peak in next to no time. This was a route she had used when much younger. The crack allowed her to drop into the eye of the needle.
spiderman
Rambler

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland