walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Edin's Hall Broch

Edin's Hall Broch

Postby dickens96 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:35 pm

Route description: Cockburn Law and Edin's Hall broch, Abbey St Bathans

Date walked: 27/04/2013

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 150m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a super walk on a sunny cool day - not too long or strenuous and the first part is on an easy path although you have to cross some rough ground towards the end.

P1010779.jpg
Starting point

The start was not the one listed on this site, but then one at the East off the A6112 Duns Rd. There's a small parking place. The path at first is very good - its the road down to Elba House.

P1010780.jpg

You cross a bridge over the Whiteadder - very shuggly!! Only 2 people at a time and no jumping

P1010781.jpg
Shuggly bridge

The path goes past Elba House and follows the river valley - its well sign posted and the ground gets a bit rougher after the house, although very dry underfoot.

P1010786.jpg

It was very peaceful - skylarks, sheep, the wind in the trees and the river the only noise. After squeezing through the narrowest kissing gate I've ever come across (large people take care!) you climb over some rough ground following sheep tracks to the crest of the hill and Edin's Hall Broch.
P1010796.jpg

2000 years old and quite rare in the South of Scotland

P1010797.jpg

There's a super view up the Whiteadder valley

P1010799.jpg

P1010800.jpg

I returned the same way I came - you can go on up to Cockburn Law or take the path on to Abbey St Bathans. I was out in my classic SAAB so just wanted to enjoy the drive home in the sun!

P1010804.jpg

All in all a great short afternoon's walk!
dickens96
Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:5

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland