walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dumglow, from a different starting point.

Dumglow, from a different starting point.

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumglow

Date walked: 27/04/2013

Time taken: 0.8 hours

Distance: 3.82 km

Ascent: 231m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There was only one trip report on WH on this hill by GraemeD, and he chose the South East approach, so I thought as my wife was not wanting to head on up but stay in the car and read a book, I hoped I could find a shorter way, so I decided to approach from the North an unclassified road which took us through Cliesh. Parked the car at grid ref 068975 where there is sufficient space for a couple of cars, walked on the road back towards Cleish about 20m and went through a gate with a track travelling South through a field until I came to the side of the woods.
22.JPG
Carparking area looking West
23.JPG
Gate at roadside with track running South
24.JPG
At the edge of te woods you find a gate on your right heading alongside the woods, follow this track
25.JPG
The track doubles back on itself and finally stops at a circular area, from this area there are two firebreaks one on the right and one on the left, take the left one, follow it until you come across another fire break with a small stream, turn up right and continue crossing over another wet area and through some low branches of the trees on the outskirts of the wood to find the hillside, head straight up looking for a grassy gully on your right. At this point it gets very steep, so care is needed, but it's only a short steep climb, soon you are at the summit.
26.JPG
Looking back from the top of the steep grassy section
27.JPG
Trig point not far away and summit flattens out
28.JPG
Lomonds and Benarty Hill from the summit. Retrace your steps back down taking care on the steep section

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Dumglow, from a different starting point.

Postby dibs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:33 am

Used this route today, thanks Rod it was superb. Also thanks to Fife Flyer for an honest dont do on his route :clap:
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 am

dibs wrote:Used this route today, thanks Rod it was superb. Also thanks to Fife Flyer for an honest dont do on his route :clap:

Many thanks dibs, glad you found it useful, hope you had a good day for it, I bet you found some of the tree sections pretty wet after all this rain :( u
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby bar72 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:38 pm

Thank You for the route, still managed to get lost in woods on way down but ended up down all the same ;)
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:194
Fionas:74   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:17 pm

bar72 wrote:Thank You for the route, still managed to get lost in woods on way down but ended up down all the same ;)

No probs bar72, I though t the woods may have disappeared by now, there seems to be so much felling being done these days, and not many being left in a pretty appearance, neither 😥
The Rodmiester
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland