walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby trekpete » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 02/03/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: 2/3/13
Hills: Ben Chonzie & Carn Chois
Present: Just me
Weather: Blue sky and sunshine before clouding over later
Distance: 11.36mls approx.
Ascent 3152ft approx.
Walking: 5hrs 5mins Loafing: 4.hrs 12mins :D :lol:

After 2wks of high pressure and some great tr’s from those lucky enough to get out mid-week when things were at their very best, it was a real disappointment to see the forecast for Saturday in the west was just a bit pants :evil: . I was really looking forward to doing Buachaille Etive Beag but I did not fancy the forecast clag and drizzle, so I thought about a trip to the Lake District again as it was looking good down there until later in the day. I had one more look at the weather sites about 11.30pm and by pure chance I hovered over Crieff and it showed up clear blue sky and sunshine :D . Ben Chonzie instantly sprang to mind and that was me sorted for the morning.
Arrived at the Loch Turret car park at 7am and was on my just after 7.15am. It was a beautiful frosty morning with almost no wind and not another soul around.

Parked up and ready to go.

Reflections in Loch Turret.

Further up the loch and the wind was picking up and breaking up the ice.

Carn Chois and Creag nan Uan.

Ben Chonzie ahead.

Looking back as the sun rises from behind Ton Eich.

Ben Chonzie glistens in the morning sun above a frozen Lochan Uaine.

I had a bit of a breather at the end of Lochan Uaine . The normal route from here is n/w up through the crags following a fence line higher up, however I had decided to head north and find a bit of steep ground on the east side of Biorach a’ Mheannain and have a bit of fun with the ironmongery. Having not found any consolidated snow on any of my winter walks this season I was keen to get the axe out and crampons on for a while.

Looking down in to Glen Almond.

I found some steep ground to have some fun on :D .

It was great to have some fun on the icy snow after all the plodding through deep soft snow on my other trips. The chink of metal on icy snow is such a simple pleasure :lol: .

Beinn Chonzie from Biorach a’ Mheannain.

Down to Loch Turret.

Panorama from west to north.

Final ascent route to the summit of Ben Chonzie.

I kept the crampons on for the walk to the summit but I could probably have managed ok without them as the heat from the sun was softening up the surface of the snowpack by now.

Looking back to Biorach a’ Mheannain.

Biorach a’ Mheannain, Achnafree Hill and Choinneachain Hill.

Just as I was thinking it was quiet another walker appeared behind me.

He soon passed while I was busy taking photos.

Quick pose for the camera 8) .

The other walker must have only spent a minute at the summit as he was soon on his way back down while I was over at the edge of the crags to the east taking photos. Result was I arrived at the summit and had complete solitude for almost an hour. The wind was bitter on the summit but with another layer on I settle in behind the summit shelter for lunch before getting on with some loafing and photo taking.

Looking down to Loch Turret.

Some heather burning going on by the Loch.

Summit pose 8) .

Coming to a hillside near you soon :evil: .

Stuc a’ Chroin and Ben Vorlich.

Across Choinneachain Hill to The Lomonds.

Carn Chois my next target for the day.

Shee of Ardtalnaig with The Lawers Range covered in clag as per the forecast.

A wider view.

Zoom toward the Glenn Shee area spoiled by bloody turbines :evil: .

Carn Chois and The Ochils in the distance.

The cloud was starting to encroach further east now and I was losing the blue sky and sunshine, so it was time to move on.

Heading across the plateau towards Carn Chois.

Started to meet more walkers coming up from the Glen Lednock side.

Panoramic back to Chonzie and across to Achnafree Hill.

It was a nice easy walk heading over to Carn Chois. The snow was mostly firm underfoot and when the sun broke through it was pleasantly warm and a heat haze could be seen rising.

On towards Carn Chois.

Summit of Carn Chois.

Back to Ben Chonzie.

Stuc a’ Chroin and Ben Vorlich.

Summit poses 8) .

I spent a fair while just hanging about here as it was very pleasant with almost no wind and the views were worth soaking in.

Took a wander over to the crags for a good look at Loch Turret.

Time to start heading down.

I dropped down east here to pick up the track at NN808270.

Back down at the loch as a shaft of sunlight lit up the opposite bank.

A couple of looks back up the loch to finish the day off.

Short video from the day

Another very enjoyable day out in much better weather than I was expecting. Strange thing on the walk, I never say a single mountain hare. Looking back my log I found it had been 15yrs since I done Ben Chonzie on 14th March 98 along with Achnafree Hill in knee deep soft snow as I recall. It’s often said Ben Chonzie is a rather boring hill and I just can’t understand when. Some people must have blinkers on as think it makes a rather good winter circuit, so go on and give it go. :D :D :D
trekpete

Munros:267   Corbetts:73
Fionas:53   Donalds:64
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:17   

Re: Ben Chonzie

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:18 pm

Some wonderful detailed photographs there trekpete, isn't amazing how the Lomonds of Fife stand out from such a distance. The weather looks a bit of a cracker for photography and climbing the hills, great stuff. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland