walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

13 unlucky?

13 unlucky?

Postby coachmacca » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 28/04/2013

Time taken: 6.5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well folks didn't do a report for Sgiath Chuil since to be honest we had sod all pictures and to be more honest I dont think you all want to read about EVERY Munro me and Mrs Mac do :crazy: :lol:

However this one, Ben Vorlich (Loch Sloy) was the alleged;y unlucky number 13 so I thought I'd bore you further

*** Spoiler alert ... there were no fights with Sherpa's or anyone else, and I don't think I offended anyone .. I don't think! ....***

Anyhoo.. up as usual about 7.30 to be out the door for 8.30 .. almost nailed that out in an hour thing , Up to Invurglas, parked at the cafe car park (getting busy already) and headed for the walk in.

Headed up the road saying hello as they passed to two lads dressed in Red with 2 dogs, one still a puppy no doubt loving these walks!.. More about them later.

Following the path we arrived at the wee cairn marking the path and turned to head up Ben Vorlich. And UP we went.. and up some more, then a little more, up further, wee bit more up ... right seriously !

Coffee stop !

Then.. the wind picked up .. followed closely by the rain - hello April! At this point my lack of energy this particular morning coupled with worsening weather were not making for a happy hill.. was this the curse of the 13?

Anyway Mrs Mac (uncommonly) spurred me on so .. on we went.. working our way more NW we were now met with the first flurries of snow... at about 600m of what was becoming one of the most relentless inclines I have experienced yet :( Have to say looking back if the weather had been nice this may not have been so bad but in current conditions I weren't loving it!
Right that's in lunch break! Got into a wee dip , shielded from the worst of it and a nice coffee, roll and a cliff bar soon made life a bit more bearable.. right lets nail this!

Obligatory snap of Loch Sloy Dam (I did say Biscuit tin!)
Loch sloy dam.jpg
Loch Sloy Dam

Wound our way up through the more craggy points passed a few interesting caves/crevasses and up through the rocky gate to the 800m point.

Now the wind was getting much stronger, its sound incredible as it moved around the crags - the gods were really making No.13 tough on us but we forged on (sorry getting all clash of the Titans for a minute!).

Waterproofs, gloves, hat, 3 layers.. you sure its April??

As we covered the last 140 metres or so of ascent there was far more snow but a really interesting summit plateaus of crags and dips - very different to the ascent - the limited visibility and wind was making it very atmospheric so on we pushed . As we approached the rise up to the first Cairn we met a family and a dog coming down who said " aye the winds picking up a bit around the summit".. you weren't kidding!

As we finally arrived at the South Trig the snow/hail/rain was now horizontal and the wind was gusting hard!
ben Vorlich (Loch Sloy) summit.jpg
South Summit (Its me I promise!)

Anyway quick snap there then onto the North (true) summit.. now the snow/ice/hail/rain was like cold sandblasting so on went the buff to try and protect my cheeks - I'd have killed for Goggles - Again April!!??

Summit cairn in sight.. burst of energy and we are there! 13 in the Bag! In your face Munro gods!!

Summit snaps, summit snaps of group that arrived just after us then a quick look at the view.. oh.. what view! clag to about 20 feet! Right head off and home!!
sam at vorlich summit.jpg
Mrs Mac at North Cairn

summit Ben Vorlich (clearer).jpg
Yours Truly at Summit

Great views momentarily on the way down though :D
loch lomond from Vorlich.jpg
Cracking View back to Lomond

Walked down, slipped as much as walked and arrived back at the road around 3.30 to hear a Helicopter.. Watched it come in from Loch Lomond then return and focus in on Ben vane.. as we approached the bridge that splits off to the Ben Vane route we met a whole team of Mountain Rescue lads, police etc.. :(

I didn't want to ask too much but they told me someone had fallen on Ben Vane.. I'm hoping whoever it was is ok and did wonder if it was one of the lads in red we had met on the way in.. any info appreciated.

As we reached the exit gates though we were treated to a lovely rainbow over Loch Lomond , maybe as reward for pushing on despite the awful weather, MRT aside maybe Vorlich wasnt so unlucky for us after all. :)
Somewhere over the....jpg
Somewhere over the....

Anyhoo thanks for reading :D
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: 13 unlucky?

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Nice one , made me laugh :lol: and they do get better
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Good report and pics there 8)
coachmacca wrote:now the snow/ice/hail/rain was like cold sandblasting so on went the buff to try and protect my cheeks

I bet that wind was sore on your face aswell :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby grenfell88 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Great report as always mate! Great pics too. I know what you mean about the way up from the cairn.. it isn't half tough going, hard to keep yourself motivated in poor weather. Well done
grenfell88
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:2

Postby coachmacca » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Alan S wrote:Good report and pics there 8)
coachmacca wrote:now the snow/ice/hail/rain was like cold sandblasting so on went the buff to try and protect my cheeks

I bet that wind was sore on your face aswell :lol:

I wondered how long it would take :wink: :lol: :lol:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby coachmacca » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 pm

grenfell88 wrote:Great report as always mate! Great pics too. I know what you mean about the way up from the cairn.. it isn't half tough going, hard to keep yourself motivated in poor weather. Well done

Cheers Mate - all part of the fun :wink: - whats next for you?
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby grenfell88 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:12 am

coachmacca wrote:Cheers Mate - all part of the fun :wink: - whats next for you?

I have a few I want to do next. I finish up on Friday for my 11 days off so hopefully the weather stays good.

I want to complete the rest of the lawers range. Or maybe go for the Crianlarich hills in one go.

Also need to get Chonzie out the way aswell. My Dad and Grandad did it today. They had a cracking day for it. Hardly any snow left at all!
grenfell88
Munro compleatist

Munros:24   Corbetts:2

Postby Scott Mackay » Wed May 01, 2013 12:31 am

I climbed Vorlich the same day with a couple of friends, we met a guy about half way up on his descent who told us its a bit blowy further up, A BIT BLOWY, more like 100mph winds lol, but I guess thats part of the challenge eh ;-)

We also seen the numerous mountain rescue, police etc and hope the persons OK.

Mac
Scott Mackay
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby flipside » Mon May 06, 2013 2:59 pm

brings back memories, tbh i felt that this munro at the time was a slog :( , great report thanks for sharing :clap:
flipside
Wanderer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Fionas:6   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:33   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:18   Islands:23

Postby coachmacca » Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 pm

Scott Mackay wrote:I climbed Vorlich the same day with a couple of friends, we met a guy about half way up on his descent who told us its a bit blowy further up, A BIT BLOWY, more like 100mph winds lol, but I guess thats part of the challenge eh ;-)

We also seen the numerous mountain rescue, police etc and hope the persons OK.

Mac

Wonder if we passed you? must have i guess? wish sometimes we have WH badges on!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby coachmacca » Tue May 07, 2013 8:36 pm

flipside wrote:brings back memories, tbh i felt that this munro at the time was a slog :( , great report thanks for sharing :clap:

Couldn't agree more about the slog... was almost for giving up in the rain at one point lol Glad we did it though, interesting hill nearer the summit!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland